Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Front Muffler Strap Fastener Broken - 2008 XB12R

Front Muffler Strap Fastener Broken - 2008 XB12R

Noticed a broken front muffler strap fastener today on my 2008 XB12R.

Having a tough time locating the part. Any suggestions or links? I found this... http://www.erikbuellracing.com/store...and-clamp.html but it NOTES: does not work in place of stock front clamp.

Also, looks like I may have to disconnect the headers and drop the whole exhaust to properly install... is that correct.

Help appreciated.
    Last edited by capebay23; 08-07-2016 at 12:35 AM.

Anybody know "xlr8n_xb"?

Looks like he has (had) one.

http://www.buellxb.com/forum/showthr...+muffler+strap

Inactive
    Also, looks like I may have to disconnect the headers and drop the whole exhaust to properly install... is that correct.

no sir...that is not correct. straps available from various online sites and members also have good used ones. put feeler out on here and check both surdyke and newcastle and evilbay sellers for front strap. to install front only....and this is the CORRECT procedure for longevity....remove the cowling via 7 torx screws....loosen but do NOT remove both rear straps.....loosen muffler to header clamp. now gently wiggle the muffler and allow it to drop down an inch or so but do not remove it. now remove the hex cap bolt and captive nut holding the front muffler bracket to the engine case. remove assembly from motor...remove broken clamp....install new clamp WITH THREADED STUD FACING LEFT SIDE OF BIKE ONLY....reinstall bracket and bolt and captive nut to motor mount....run the bolt into the nut a few threads but allow clamp to wiggle...push muffler up against both front and rear brackets and symetrically tighten all 3 straps. lastly tighten the header to muffler clamp.

Excellent, thank you. Also, just noticed I only have 1 rear strap. Guess I need to order another one of those too. I assume they just "butt" up next to each other. Can I put the 2nd rear strap on with this same process you describe or are there additional steps. Looks like I have to remove the tensioner cover but that's about it... correct?

Thanks again LF.

Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by capebay23 View Post
    Excellent, thank you. Also, just noticed I only have 1 rear strap. Guess I need to order another one of those too. I assume they just "butt" up next to each other. Can I put the 2nd rear strap on with this same process you describe or are there additional steps. Looks like I have to remove the tensioner cover but that's about it... correct?

Thanks again LF.
    they do NOT butt up against each other. factory install is threaded post pointed towards belt drive....each clamp 3/16th inch in from end of bracket and threaded posts outbound of bracket parallel to ground. steps are:
    bike on sidestand only
    remove front pulley cover
    remove right side drivers footpeg bracket if SS or X model for clearance
    remove axle pinch bolt
    loosen rear axle PRECISELY 21 TURNS..........NO MORE..............NO LESS
    remove 2 belt tensioner bracket nuts and flat washers..........remove tensioner assembly
    now do the rear straps.

Great. Thanks again LF. We all need to pitch in and send you a check for all you do on here.

What's a "check"...

har har

You and a few others deserve one too!

Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by capebay23 View Post
    Great. Thanks again LF. We all need to pitch in and send you a check for all you do on here.
    always my pleasure. negotiable check fine.....cash even better. would be greatly appreciated as have been having trouble "putting food on the table" lately.

Lunatic, Im ashamed of you on this one. You forgot to ask why it broke. The straps dont just break, they snap due to excessive vibrations between the exhaust and engine. The front exhaust mount also has aluminium bushings, that are a wear item. The older these bikes get the more Im seeing this neglected and it WILL break your engine cases if left unchecked. Replace the bushings or the problem will be chronic and worsen over time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast