Thread: Old School Ignition

Old School Ignition

Old School Ignition. So I am in the garage with old timers, talking about the blast. The conversation reflects on the "old" singles, what made them great. Why their sound was unique. The question came to me about Ignition. They wondered what the blast would sound like with old school points. I said, can't do..the cam turns Counter Clock wise so the HD point flyweights wont advance. So they wanted me to post...Is there any foreign flyweights that work CCW? Maybe a complete point set up? They got me wondering about the sound

Why would it sound any different?

Mechanical vs electronic. Spring flyweight advance timing vs electronic- computer. It's just different.

Inactive
    how a spark plug is fired has absolutely no bearing whatsoever on the exhaust note. all chrysler corporation B, RB, B and RB marine and Hemi motors based on RB blocks all have counter-clockwise rotating points and condensor ignition distributors. there's your source for parts for this experiment.
    Last edited by user_deleted; 08-08-2016 at 01:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ChasCrewChief View Post
    Mechanical vs electronic. Spring flyweight advance timing vs electronic- computer. It's just different.
    I know what the difference between the styles is. What I don't understand is how the engine would sound any different having one vs the other, assuming you're not changing the timing curve.

There's lots of variables, I know you can see the difference on an oscilloscope (I'm showing my age). One big difference that could affect sound would be actual spark energy.

I have no idea if a person could hear the difference, but it sounds like an old dude thing to say when they want to brag about how cool they are. "Ya know, those old kick starters made the headlights more yellow tinged, and I can hear a bike on spoke wheels from a mile away!"

Quote Originally Posted by ChasCrewChief View Post
    Old School Ignition. So I am in the garage with old timers, talking about the blast. The conversation reflects on the "old" singles, what made them great. Why their sound was unique. The question came to me about Ignition. They wondered what the blast would sound like with old school points. I said, can't do..the cam turns Counter Clock wise so the HD point flyweights wont advance. So they wanted me to post...Is there any foreign flyweights that work CCW? Maybe a complete point set up? They got me wondering about the sound
    The cam turns counter-clockwise on all of the single cam Harleys; Knucks, Pans, Shovels and Evos. It is geared directly to the crank.
    Cone Shovels and Evos drive the ignition off the end of the cam. Ironheads starting from '71 also have points which run counter-clockwise.
    Last edited by williegoat; 08-08-2016 at 10:16 PM.

Awesome Williegoat

BTW CCC, the point flyweights will indeed open up, they are just spinning ya know. The problem is they will retard the timing instead of advance it. I don't know the origins of the Blast single, but I doubt it was designed by scratch by Buell. Would an earlier version of that 500cc single have points?