Thread: Picked up a '03 XB9S & getting it lined out for daily riding.

Picked up a '03 XB9S & getting it lined out for daily riding.

Picked up a '03 XB9S with just 4K miles on it last weekend. I am trying to go thru it now to make sure all the recalls are done & any issues these bikes have are addressed.

The bike has the translucent blue tank & windscreen. It also has the race pipe, race ECM & K&N in the airbox. It's got a set of new tires & should be ready to go.

One thing though, I need to figure out the TPS stuff now. Rode it to work Monday & now it won't run, it idles really low then dies. When it barely idles it won't rev up, just stalls & dies. Got it home & on the tender & got it to rev past 3500 & then it revved & idled as normal. Ordered the TPS cable & hope to adjust it this weekend.

Last edited by grancuda; 08-11-2016 at 04:34 AM. Reason: Added pic

Welcome grancuda! Sweet looking XB9S! You started off the right way...by posting a pic! This is a great forum with lots of good people and good advice. I don't know if there is a difference on how to do a TPS reset on an '03. It's a piece of cake on my '09 XB12Ss. You can probably get the info you need by doing a search on the forum. Also, do you have a service manual? Make sure to go here if you don't: http://www.buellmods.com/.

Hello grancuda welcome mate nice bike! what i like about the buell range is an `03 model doesn`t visually look dated compared to any other year model unlike some makes of bike where you compare the differences and think Omg! Someone will offer you the advice you need soon but like submax i am on easy street with an `09 Ss oh yeah and i WANT to buy that seat off your bike!

Welcome! Love the Hero Blue. I have an 03 SL like yours but with Hero Blue wheels. PS- find a select or streetfighter seat for it, lot less waffle butt that way.

Welcome to the forum Grancuda, nice ride!

What makes you think the tps made the bike run poorly? Especially when it runs fine now?

The TPS re-set on your bike is different than the thunderstorm '08+ bikes. You need a program to do it. I assume the "tps cable" you ordered is to us with ECMspy? Do you know how to use ECMSpy?

Let me make a suggestion. Go to the android store and get ECMDroid for free. Use a Bluetooth dongle (instead of a cable) from Buelltooth.com or PM AZMidget on here. It's way easier and it won't let you mess anything up. I have an extra dongle if you need it...

BTW, I doubt the tps reset is the problem but please post here with all the info you have and we'll try to help

Hey Tone... His seat off his S won't fit your Long... Us Ss owners got way less options

Yeah thanks cooter but i have the S tail on mine now luckily! and off subject i know but i really want an `03 to `05 xb9 s or sx seat in that condition but prefer an `03!
    Last edited by ToneTheMoan; 08-13-2016 at 04:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    Welcome to the forum Grancuda, nice ride!

What makes you think the tps made the bike run poorly? Especially when it runs fine now?

The TPS re-set on your bike is different than the thunderstorm '08+ bikes. You need a program to do it. I assume the "tps cable" you ordered is to us with ECMspy? Do you know how to use ECMSpy?

Let me make a suggestion. Go to the android store and get ECMDroid for free. Use a Bluetooth dongle (instead of a cable) from Buelltooth.com or PM AZMidget on here. It's way easier and it won't let you mess anything up. I have an extra dongle if you need it...

BTW, I doubt the tps reset is the problem but please post here with all the info you have and we'll try to help

Hey Tone... His seat off his S won't fit your Long... Us Ss owners got way less options
    It wouldn't idle unless it reved past 3500 then it would idle & drive ok. I ordered a cable & rest the TPS tonight & it starts & idles & accelerates good now. I hope that's all it was, I'll go for a ride tomorrow morning & check it out.