Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need some dimensions...

Need some dimensions...

Hey All,
    While my search for my own Buell continues, I am wondering if I may be able to make my Ducati better with some Buell parts. Specifically, I am considering a drive chain to drive belt conversion. There is enough crap on the Duc that needs constant maintenance, I figure a belt would help reduce one of the daily chores (and be a hell of a lot cleaner, too).

Is there anyone who could give me the dimensions off of the belt & pulleys? What is the width of the belt? For the front I need overall diameter and width of the pulley (and if any of the belt protrudes once it is wrapped around). And for the rear I am trying to find the overall width, offset and bolt pattern dimensions. Also, if I could get a general center to center measurement from the pulleys to see how close it is to my Ducati's, that would be awesome.

I snagged this pic off of eBay.

The buell has a fixed wheel base I'm not familiar with the Ducati?

Inactive
    not sure if this thread is a joke or not but here's all you need to know to scrub this absurd potential project:
    1- no motorcycle in the world has a "fixed wheel-base" unless you consider a bicycle with a clip-on motor to be a motorcycle.
    2-there is no feasible way to attach a buell XB output shaft belt pulley to the output shaft of a ducati transmission.
    3-"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""" """""""" idler pulley assembly to a ducati motor.

I think DJS2k2 means no provision for belt 'adjustment' like a chain drive has.

And sorry but it's a terrible idea.

Quote Originally Posted by lunaticfringe View Post
    not sure if this thread is a joke or not but here's all you need to know to scrub this absurd potential project:
    1- no motorcycle in the world has a "fixed wheel-base" unless you consider a bicycle with a clip-on motor to be a motorcycle.
    2-there is no feasible way to attach a buell XB output shaft belt pulley to the output shaft of a ducati transmission.
    3-"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""" """""""" idler pulley assembly to a ducati motor.
    No, It's not a joke. No, It's not absurd. Yes, there is a feasible way to attach to the pulley to the Duc's output shaft. It only takes ingenuity and intelligence.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    I think DJS2k2 means no provision for belt 'adjustment' like a chain drive has.

And sorry but it's a terrible idea.
    Why would this be a terrible idea? Belts are quieter, cleaner and last longer. If it's such a bad idea, why did Erik Buell put belts on any of his bikes? There are Chain to belt conversions for many bikes on the market. Why not a Ducati?

Inactive
    ^^^^^ can't decide if you're a keyboard brawler, word twister or just the argumentative type though i know your response will be none of the above. neither i nor shaughn said or inferred that a belt is a sub-standard method to transfer engine power to the rear wheel of a motorcycle. on the contrary it is an excellent method to perform such a demanding task. aftermarket kits exist in the cycle world to both convert chain drive to belt....and belt drive to chain.......ergo the pic you posted up. all the due diligence, intelligence and ingenuity in the world, in all likelihood, will not allow the conversion of a buell XB series rear drive pulley to the cush drive assembly of a ducati nor the front drive pulley to be adapted to the ducati output shaft. the pic you posted is completely irrelevant to your original question. that kit consists of "made from scratch" specific components for ducati chain-to-belt conversions. a keen eye such as mine also can quickly deduce from said pic that dimensionally the depicted drive pulley ratios and belt length are far different than XB series components, which in and amongst itself makes your consideration academic and pointless.

the question is not 'can I?' but is 'should I?' Anything will fit anything with enough money and resources. If I wanted to change that bad, I would sell the Duc and buy a Buell. There are enough good deals out there on XB's and 1125's that you can get a good bike for about $4k. Sell the Duc and buy a Buell. What you will end up with will be a bastard that you can't sell anywhere near what you will have in it. (Ask me how I know this, lol). If someone would buy it after conversion they will not have any support for parts. Can you imagine someone walking into a Ducati dealer asking for parts? All the staff would walk outside, look at it and laugh and wish you luck. Not hating, just stating the facts.

Yes thanks cooter...

Quote Originally Posted by lunaticfringe View Post
    neither i nor shaughn said or inferred that a belt is a sub-standard method to transfer engine power to the rear wheel of a motorcycle.
    No, you simply called it an "absurd potential project" and Cooter said it was "a terrible idea." Did I, perhaps, misunderstand what you meant? My bad?

-----------------------------------

Okay, let's start over. I look to the Buells as starting point due to the fact that they produce similar amounts of torque and horsepower and are a similmar style bike. Despite Lunaticfringe's "Keen Eye," let's really hit this at the VERY BASICS. Will the front pulley even fit into the available space on the Ducati motor? If the answer is no, then it's all for not. BUT, I need the dimensions in order to find out. Next would be: Would a rear pulley fit inside stock Ducati swing arm and allow the belt to clear the tire? Once again, I simply look to the Buells as they are the best analog on the market to pull a comparison from. Will the parts swap directly over? No, obviously not. I'm not that stupid. but it took me all of about 5 seconds to look at the Buell drive pulley and think of a way to machine the parts to make it fit the Duc's engine. Its really simple engineering. But why bother wasting the money buying one unless I know the potential of fitting is there?

buell248 - I found that pic on a web search when I started researching this project. As best I can tell, they was simply a prototype that never went into production (Pic was taken at a convention). I found the company that made it, though, and they currently offer belt conversions for the Triumph Bonneville. Pretty slick looking work, too. I have had no response to my inquires to them, but as far as I can tell, it was never a production item. It does give me hope, though. I haven't been able to find any other Duacti's with a drive belt other than the new Diavel, but those on the Duacti forums seem to be interested in what I found out in my quest.

mrlogix - You make a valid point on the Can I/Should I argument along with resale value. However, if I can do this along the lines that I am thinking about, it would be totally reversible as it would be a matter of "bolting-on" parts (which could be unbolted and swapped out for stock).

So... Could anyone give me the dimensions on the pulleys and the belt width???

So...
    You are still willing to spend way more than sensible on this project. Ok, cool. I get that. Then Buy the Buell parts and see if they fit. No one here has the CAD dimensions you would need to actually do this. It takes a LOT more info than circumference and width...

Since you still haven't provided the info of WHAT Ducati you have (I'll guess '97-'03 Monster, but a very small one...) no one can give you info on that bike either.

Can you? Sure! Any things possible

Should you? I'm SURE we are saying the same thing that your Ducati forum is. No.

It's really for your own good. I've watched very nice people spent lots and lots of money on silly things and it doesn't affect my life at all. I'm just using my experience and knowledge to help you avoid an obvious pitfall.

Good luck buddy, I'll watch this project closely (if it actually ever happens).

Last edited by Cooter; 08-18-2016 at 05:51 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast