Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: O2 sensor and header install

O2 sensor and header install

Hi all,

I'm in the middle of replacing the exhaust header on my '09 XB12Ss with a buddy. We're following the procedure given by Greg O in his excellent video. We are struggling to remove the O2 sensor...it's torqued really tight. Here's the full detail of what we did:

1. Removed rear shock and fan.
    2. Tried removing O2 sensor, but didn't really have the best tool to apply torque and the torque we were applying seemed really high. We used Mouse Milk penetrating oil also, but didn't seem to help.
    3. Removed exhaust header bolts from front and rear to try and just remove the header without removing the O2 sensor.
    4. Weren't able to fit the header out between engine head and frame with the O2 sensor in place.

So, now the header is loose, but we can't get it off since we can't get the O2 sensor out. We're a bit afraid of bolting the exhaust back on and applying more torque to the O2 sensor since we don't want to damage the header bolts/engine.

Also, looking forward, any thoughts about the best technique to get the new header lined up and installed. It seemed like we could either get one side or the other back onto the engine, but getting both at the same time was not working out very well.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated!

What are you using to apply "really high" torque to the O2 sensor? Thats your key. A properly fitting O2 sensor socket is worth the $ or a closed end wrench if the frame is rotated enough. And always...ALWAYS use anti-seize on O2 sensor threads.

Hi Cooter,
    Actually, we ended up using a 7/8 deep socket with an impact driver with no luck. It isn't a specific O2 sensor socket, I can certainly get one of those. Believe me...I will be using anti-sieze when I get the new one installed.

Wow. That sucks. Soaked in penetrant?

I'm not sure how you got that socket to fit with the wire and connector? But a regular socket will be more effective if you got it to work. Extensions and especially u-joints can drastically reduce the effectiveness of the 'impact' part of the impact gun. Impacts can also crack the brittle exhaust tubing.

Next thing I'd try would be to heat the bung with propane or MAPP gas torch until its at least dull red, then cool the O2 sensor with an air gun or penetrant and quickly crank on it. Instead of the rattling impact, try even torque with a really long handled ratchet. Righty tighty, lefty loosey? (Not to offend, just thought I'd mention it)
    Last edited by Cooter; 08-28-2016 at 07:06 PM.

Use wax, regular candle wax. Heat it up a little, melt the candle against it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aivMjkXgKZ8

Hi Cooter,

Yeah...very sucky. And no offense taken about the lefty loosey reminder. We aren't actually trying to save the exhaust header, so not worried about damage to it. In fact, our next move was going to be using a die grinder to cut it. The torch is also a good idea, but since we aren't trying to save the header, maybe cutting is the way to go so we aren't sticking a hot flame down in there?

Well! That changes things!

Thats a good old school suggestion by Dean.

Since you aren't trying to save the header then chop off either the sensor or cut the pipe off in sections. Hacksaw, or even a dremel will do it (eventually...)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/3317498...&ul_noapp=true
    Last edited by Cooter; 08-28-2016 at 08:17 PM.

Yeah...we're now thinking about just cutting the top off the O2 sensor. Maybe even bolt cutters? I'll keep you posted. Thanks, guys!

Just cut the sensor. There $20.00 and not worth all the headache your having.

Inactive
    james: never found anything yet that this stuff wouldn't loosen up. give it a try.553351.jpg

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast