Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 03 XB9 Cant Get Running Right

Hybrid View

03 XB9 Cant Get Running Right

Hey guys so I'm starting to hit bottom with my Buell and everyday i get closer to selling it but i don't want to get rid of her. So what i have done after market wise exhaust, and the crank case breather re rout. my problems, it runs like poo rough idle, engine seems to look like it vibrates much more violently, sputters all the way through on acceleration, coughs the whole time while cruising, coughs white smoke out the exhaust sometimes, and sound like a dirt bike. ive replaced spark plugs multiple time, replaced intake seals, and reset my TPS, checked grounds all good same with all plugs and wires i can see. pulled and cleaned fuel injectors looked good. sometimes if i hit the kill switch while cruising and turn it back on right away it will run fine for a bit like nothings wrong but then decelerate problems come back. I'm just lost and could use anyone's help. Thank you guys looking forward to get the O'l girl back on the road.
    Last edited by gujeps; 08-22-2016 at 07:05 PM.

Inactive
    sometimes if i hit the kill switch while cruising and turn it back on right away it will run fine for a bit like nothings wrong

go no further. when you do this you are re-energizing both the key switch and the ignition relay as well as the ecm. consider replacing both relays (they're very inexpensive and available at any napa/quality auto parts store), beg-borrow-steal a known good 2003 XB9 ecm and trying it....and below a must prior to doing anything with your present ecm.

http://www.badweatherbikers.com/buel...77/146574.html

thanks gonna try and see if i can get any codes to come up tonigh/tomorrow, as well just pick up those relays after work. do you have a cross reference on them i think i remember seeing somewhere they were 80s series chevy trucks relays.

Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by gujeps View Post
    thanks gonna try and see if i can get any codes to come up tonigh/tomorrow, as well just pick up those relays after work. do you have a cross reference on them i think i remember seeing somewhere they were 80s series chevy trucks relays.
    they are the same. 30 amp rated. see top of each for amp rating to confirm. they cross over to common ford/chrysler a/c relays. take one along and match it up.

replaced relays no difference as well as tried to pull trouble codes and nothing as well as redo timing just cant figure it out ive really hit a dead end on this one

o2 sensor reading wrong....??? airbox sensor reading wrong....?voltage drop somwhere sound like it want to be rich try setting afv to 100 for rear cylinder??

So after many hours of playing around and a deal with the devil I found what was wrong. There was a screw missing on the throttle body the one that holds it up against the ignition coil bracket allowing it to wiggle and suck in air while running. I never knew it was missing because when I went to replace the intake seals it was already missing so never knew it needed it. thank you guys who came by and gave advice.

That's great to hear you got it figured out!
    Thanks for posting the solution I case anyone figured out how to use the search function here haha

Go get some miles on it!

well I got about 2 days of riding on it, and now its down again I looped it last night

No offense but... ...This isn't your first bike EVER is it? Cause that was a squid move!

And if no one ever told you, don't clutch up your Buell in first gear. The front end comes up entirely too fast!

You're lucky these bikes are extremely "crashable". The damage can't be that bad.
    Get the tool box out again and start fixing it!

Oh and almost forgot to ask; you alright bud?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast