Thread: rattling fan

rattling fan

2003 xb9r k&n, breather reroute, air box mod, race mapped.

Halfway through this riding season I noticed that my fan is rattling when I turn the bike off and the fan is in high mode (There is a high and a low right?) I am assuming like anything, that since it is making a new noise it is letting me know that it needs some attention. But, it sounds like the rattle may be internal, and not the mounting hardware. Is it time to replace it? and, if so, is there a better quality fan other than the OEM that is readily available? I will pull the seat and inspect later today. Thanks for reading.

Mike

Inactive
    the fan is a SPAL brand. there is no better quality available than that. part # is: COOLING FAN Y0050.02A8A
    same number as your original .02A8 with the A being superseded number. the fan is non-serviceable as it is a sealed unit. the ecm controls the high/low feature you mentioned. tons of "how to remove and replace" posts available on here. also pay particular attention to any oil mist you may find on the fan and/or housing. if so carefully check your rear rocker box and cover area for faulty/leaking gasket. while performing the fan repair strongly suggest replacing the O2 sensor while working in that area. yours is 13 years old or more and near the end of its designed lifespan. the following cross over to the buell O2 sensor part:
    GM OEM= 25162693
    -NTK= 21002
    -Airtex= 553071
    -Bosch= 12014
    -Denso= 234-1001
    -Walker= 250-21001
    -SNG= SN1-15

(slow clap)
    Damn Lunatic, you are on your game today

Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    (slow clap)
    Damn Lunatic, you are on your game today

thank you shaughn. anytime i get to type the word SPAL i always like responding. LOL

I'm the same way with antidisestablishmentarianism.

But it doesn't happen often