Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to Buell with early issues. Help me, help me please.

Question New to Buell with early issues. Help me, help me please.

Hey, I just traded a Triumph for a 2006 Ulysses, LOVE the bike but she broke down on me already. Since you guys know your **** I'm coming to you for help, I'll explain everything that's gone on that eventually led to the Uly being in the back of my truck.
    About a week ago I parked her in the garage, and the next day I saw about a quarter-sized spot of oil underneath. I wiped it up, ran her, saw nothing else for days. Then I took about a five hour trip to the mountains, she seemed to run fine, even in traffic, had my son on the back and everything. When we stopped, as I pulled her in to the parking spot, she cut out. It rained pretty good that day off and on. When I came back a few hours later, she just clicked, and wouldn't start. The oil looked low so I added a quart or so. Tried to bump start, couldn't get enough speed up, so I jumped her. Had to jump three times as she kept stalling on me. When she finally stayed running, I had to keep the throttle up to keep her from stalling and the check engine light stayed on. Got about half a mile, she backfired, sputtered, and died.
    If I try to start her I just hear clicking, and when I pulled the air box off there was a decent amount of oil inside, don't know if it's because I added oil or what.
    I'm not new to riding but I am new to Buell, and new to working on my own bikes, I usually get rid of a bike and move on to something different before I take it apart. This one I dig, and would like some help in figuring out what's going on. Any information you guys might have for me would be much appreciated.

Thanks.
    Marty

Inactive
    several seperate issues here on your ulysses and i'd break them down to the battery....too much oil in the swingarm...moisture causing starting/sputtering issues. check the following:
    1-wet/corroded battery cable ends and terminals. remove seat and check. do NOT rely on what you just see. remove both cables, clean, reinstall and tighten. often times for various reasons the battery terminal connections if not pristine will give you a CEL.
    2-remove fusebox cover. look at schematic. it is either on side or inside bottom. find your ignition and key switch relays. remove and check the blade tips. switch them around and reinstall. check the fusebox for moisture. i would also remove the battery blade fuse and do the same. it can trigger back-firing and CEL if the blade tips are corroded/wet.
    3-if equipped check both your sidestand and clutch lever interlock button switches for solid connections and corrosions. a problem with either one can cause a no-start problem.
    4-give the battery a healthy charge and check its age. a chinese POS brand 1 year older or more is suspect. a quality name brand battery 3 or more years old should be load tested. a healthy charge is 6 amps for 20 minutes minimum and NOT with a stupid tender.
    5-you added too much oil. the excess sumped, was pushed thru the motors' breather system and into your airbox. you need to start from square one on this. leave the filter installed. completely drain the 5/8th plug on swingarm and let drain for minimum 30 minutes. junk it regardless of what PO told you. oil cheap. with filter installed and UNTOUCHED....add precisely 2-1/4 quarts of a quality 20-50 oil. could care less what you use but add precisely that amount. the swingarm will now be properly filled to spec.
    6-IMPORTANT: XB's cantankerous to properly check oil levels on. THIS is the single correct method. run the bike minimum of 10 miles. park on level surface with nothing under side stand. shut off. get off the bike, get a clean rag, wait 30 more seconds....NOW check the oil via the dipstick. THIS is the correct method. if your air filter is a stock paper style and is saturated with motor oil it must be replaced.
    Last edited by user_deleted; 09-06-2016 at 11:19 PM.

Lunaticfringe, can't thank you enough man, I'll get on that soon and back on the road hopefully. I was hoping it would be something as simple as what you suggest.
    Thanks again.

Well I gotta say Marty you went about asking for help in the absolute correct way and explaining your problem. We are glad to have you aboard. The man who just answered your questions and diagnosed your problems knows more about these bikes than most although there are some EXTREMELY knowledgeable men on here that will help you any day all day.....but again John is the man. Feel privileged he took the time to help. He is a major asset to the preservation of these machines and a damn good friend. Good luck and report back. Rest assured you are in the right place and your machine will get fixed.

Wicked, don't forget that there are some women in this forum with a lot of experience with these bikes. Not me, I'm a dude, but I remember reading some really good threads created by female buellers... just sayin. Anything that brings more women to the forum, I approve 100%.

Welcome, Marty! Like the folks above said...this is a great place for advice and discussion (Buell and otherwise). I've certainly learned a ton on here since I bought my XB12Ss a couple of years ago. Glad you love the bike and are sticking with it! Now...post some pics when you get a chance!

One last thing, check your grounds all well. A little moisture and corrosion will have you scratching your head for days.

Quote Originally Posted by HighwayHum72 View Post
    Wicked, don't forget that there are some women in this forum with a lot of experience with these bikes. Not me, I'm a dude, but I remember reading some really good threads created by female buellers... just sayin. Anything that brings more women to the forum, I approve 100%.
    I'm all for female riders as well......****, I got passed on the track last time out by a hot chic. Plus EBR has Sheleena Moreda aboard. Besides all that they are bitchin to look at!!!!

About a week ago I parked her in the garage, and the next day I saw about a quarter-sized spot of oil underneath
    Check your primary oil too or just service it and check gasket, seal around the clutch cable and shifter.
    The rest of the suggestions should point you close for your stalling problem.

Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by wickedchop View Post
    Well I gotta say Marty you went about asking for help in the absolute correct way and explaining your problem. We are glad to have you aboard. The man who just answered your questions and diagnosed your problems knows more about these bikes than most although there are some EXTREMELY knowledgeable men on here that will help you any day all day.....but again John is the man. Feel privileged he took the time to help. He is a major asset to the preservation of these machines and a damn good friend. Good luck and report back. Rest assured you are in the right place and your machine will get fixed.
    my pleasure marty. thanks dave! and thank YOU wally for the very generous compliment and extremely kind words. trust knowing marty that there are some truly brilliant people on this site with a phenomenal amount of buell knowledge. i just happen to be a geezer who works on them everyday. let us know how you make out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast