Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New to Buell with early issues. Help me, help me please.

Hey guys (and gals). Also new on here, new to Buells, and experiencing issues. Not sure of the etiquette on jumping on a thread vs. starting a new one. What's the proper way to go about asking for help?

Start a new thread in the section related to your model.
    Let us know mileage and mods.
    Let us know what you're issues are and what you've researched as possible solutions/fixes.
    Usually a good solution depends on good information given regarding bike condition and issues.

Well John, next time you're in Denver I owe you a beer or two or ten, she's back on the road with no CEL! I haven't been able to run it long because I'm on call this week, but I do feel like it pulls a little, almost like there's a fuel issue, and it wants to stall when I first start it up. I also hear a little backfiring. I always put premium in my bikes but I just got it and have no idea what the guy before me put in, could it be something that pedestrian? And would you recommend Seafoam or other fuel additives in a Buell?
    Can't thank you enough John, sorry to keep coming at you but I know the goods when I see it.

Marty

Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by ItalStal View Post
    Well John, next time you're in Denver I owe you a beer or two or ten, she's back on the road with no CEL! I haven't been able to run it long because I'm on call this week, but I do feel like it pulls a little, almost like there's a fuel issue, and it wants to stall when I first start it up. I also hear a little backfiring. I always put premium in my bikes but I just got it and have no idea what the guy before me put in, could it be something that pedestrian? And would you recommend Seafoam or other fuel additives in a Buell?
    Can't thank you enough John, sorry to keep coming at you but I know the goods when I see it.

Marty
    my pleasure marty and what did you do to achieve road-worthiness again? regarding your post above here's a list of fairly simple and reasonably priced upgrades that typically transform a 2006 XB12 like your ulysses into a much more pleasant and smoother riding bike. i have owned probably 10 ulysses'.....6 of which were pre-2008 models....and every single one of them had minor but irritating rideability issues right out of the factory. the below will dramatically smooth out fueling issues and increase your riding enjoyment:
    1-yes on premium marty. i run 91 octane or higher in all my buells.
    2-though i am not a "mechanic-in-a-can" type of guy i believe seafoam is a very good product and keep it on hand. follow the directions on back of container. read them CAREFULLY. said directions can be a bit confusing between "add to crankcase" and "add to fuel system". obviously you're treating the fuel system.
    3-i am now seeing O2 sensors failing at an alarming rate on older buells. sluggish throttle response and "falls flat on its face" common symptoms. does NOT always activate the CEL and store a code. keep this in mind. tedious to replace but do-able with basic skills and hand-tools.
    4-on a 2006 uly a breather re-route....NGK DCPR9EIX spark plugs....dedicated ground wire from rear coil mounting bolt to negative battery cable frame attachment point....and installation of a basic "race-tune map" onto your stock ecm improves rideability dramatically. MPG typically not affected, motor runs a tad cooler, performance and enjoyment level increase.
    5-"back-firing" is combustion blowing up past the throttle body air valve/plate and into airbox. "after-firing" is combustion blowing out the exhaust. i imagine you're speaking exhaust. everything else being equal it can be tuned-out or eliminated for the most part by careful ecm tuning BUT my understanding is that this is achieved thru fuel shut-off on decel mapping....and when performed often times throttle roll-on invariably suffers. i am NOT an ecm guru marty....know very little about them. several others on here brilliant regarding that component....not i.
    6-lastly....2006 ulysses' suffered from interference between the seat-base and ecm unit. CAREFULLY CHECK that your seat- base is NOT rubbing on your ecm. check both ecm unit and base for physical signs of rubbing on each other. if so it must be remedied immediately with spacer block.

Another great write-up by John and like Wally said you have the right guy on your side. Good luck with your ride!

Nice post John. well written and sounds like good advice to all XB owners. See a lot of posts from new members and doing the above would answer a large percentage of them. Won't let me give you a rep point.

Inactive
    ^^^^ thanks much for that john.....thanks ricky. appreciate it.
    PS-thought rep points were a thing of the past when the site was changed?

thought rep points were a thing of the past when the site was changed?

they're still around just trying to figure out what we should do with them.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12