Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jet Hot Coatings

Jet Hot Coatings

I'm going to get my headers Jet Hot coated. I can't decide which coating level to get. Extreme 1300 vs 2000 vs 2500. Basically the 2500 has the highest heat management and insulating properties, with the 2000 and 1300 each having a step lower in terms of heat insulation. The 2500 also has a slightly rougher texture with the 1300 having the smoothest finish. I called and talked to their customer service and they are really cool and recommended the 2500 because they told me it would manage the heat coming off the pipe the most and it is not much more $ on a small pipe like the one found on the XB. I am looking for feedback from Buell guys who can comment on whether it is even a good idea to have extreme heat insulation on the header or whether it is better for the header to let off heat via the header. Does anyone have experience who can advise? Thanks.

I guess it would really come down to the egt's. My guess is 2k is plenty as long as you aren't bouncing off the rev limiter in a parking lot trying to prove you're a douche.

Can anyone tell me why this would be bad for the bike?

I can only think that scavenging would be improved (hotter exhaust moves faster) leading to slightly leaner conditions.

^^ this.

http://www.sdsefi.com/techegt.htm

another good article about egt's and cht's

http://www.jpitech.com/press_releases/Bush_Article.pdf

Best to coat internally and externally if exhaust temp heat transfer is the desired goal
    Last edited by mrlogix; 09-08-2016 at 03:32 PM.

f#cking rep point system. Tried to give you one Sirius. How can I spread it around when the same people impress me? Just my .02

I'm sorry guys but you lost me.

Would you recommend ceramic coating the header with the extreme 1300, which would make the pipe look nice and be the closest to the OEM header in term of heat dissipation. Or go for the Extreme 2500, which will drastically reduce the amount of heat radiating off the header?

Are you after looks or performance or both? looks = 1300, performance = 2500, both = 2000.

sorry, didn't mean to get off on a tangent from the original question. Sounds like 2000 is a good compromise for looks and effect. Maybe Dean will chime in.

I have gotten several items Jet Hot Coated. But I have always done it for the aesthetics, not for the insulating value. If you have an item that has welded on flanges that bolt together with gaskets, you can use the highest temperature rated coating. If you have an item that has slip fittings or joints, you may want to consider the lower temperature coatings, as the thickness interferes with the connection. You feel a little like a hack when your grinding the coating off to make it fit. Additionally, wherever you grind down to make a slip connection, under high exhaust temperatures, it will discolor and possibly rust depending on the material that was coated. This really stands out when you have a bright silver perfect looking exhaust and rusty crappy joint connections. Just my 2 cents.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast