Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Occasional blips and farts since installing NGK plugs

Occasional blips and farts since installing NGK plugs

Never noticed so many small blips, cut outs, and farts under cold running before I installed nGK's. Was running Buell Pro Series plugs from 1000 miles until 11500 miles and had no issues of the sort, the only thing I changed on my bike since then other than the plugs were plug wires in the same time period. I might be a bit crazy but I wish I could go back to the pro series.
    when I had my cyclone years ago it really seemed to make it easier on start up in the cold and warmed up faster with less issues wit the pro series plugs.
    I keep thinking maybe I have another issue because I have not heard anyone else speak out against the common NGK plug usage.
    Am I crazy or do not need to experiment with different spark plugs?

I don't think you're crazy. I mean, you own a Buell so you can't be totally sane but I wouldn't call you crazy.
    You're probably just being hyper sensitive to the bike now that something isn't what you're used to. It's like the people that do an open airbox and breather reroute and swear they can feel a seat of pants difference in performance.
    Thing to review:
    Did you gap the plugs? From my understanding ONLY iridium plugs come pre gapped or at a factory gap setting that should not be altered.
    Have you changed gas stations? What I mean is, is there a possibility you have some crap gas in the tank?
    Are you 100% sure you did not foul the plugs by blipping the throttle a little too much on that cold engine?
    Last but not least are you sure your plug wires are seated properly?

If all those things check out then I would chalk it up as just the way the bike runs... ....with those plugs.
    If it really bothers you switch back and see it cures your running issues. After all plugs are fairly cheap and who doesn't like a little man time with the Buell.

Good luck
    Keep us posted.

They are iridium, so no worries on gap. I should check out the wires again just for s's and g's. Same fuel station as always, although I did run one bottle of Amsoil octane boost through it, which it really didn't seem to improve performance, actually dropped mpgs. I don't think I fouled one since it runs as good as ever warm. I've been wanting to find time to pull one just to inspect.
    Thnx chicken. I will post results of some kind whether it's just me shaking it out of my mind or if I can find an actual problem

NGK are cool, but IMO the Harley plugs are just fine.

BuellyBagger what did you ever find out?

Nothing yet, bikes parked for the winter, going to have a look under the hood as soon as I get done on my lightning. Thanks for the thread reminder though!

Well first ride of the year for the uly. Still got one or two little stutters when it was warming up going down the highway@ about 3k rpm. Just like a light little misfire. I checked over all the connectors and plug wires grounds etc. When I had the inner airbox off to re-re-route the breather. I did not pull the plugs, maybe should've? Runs great otherwise still. Worried it's a sign of something ready to fail. Going to go through and take a look at the fuse box, maybe swap out the relays and fuses for some new ones just incase?

Since I'm old and can't remember anymore, I did see or hear someplace that one should not run any octane boosters through the buell, or was that the triumph ?

Just a guess... Double check the part number to make sure the heat range is the same? I've had lots of different Buells and it's funny how they all run a little differently.

Lets call it "Buell Character"

DCPR9EIX is what i used... that lightning i had for a bit had the 8's in it, ran great. I used to run "BUELL PRO SERIES" plugs, but can't find those any longer. I was considering seeing what harley had in a platinum or iridium for 1200's... or maybe just another set of these maybe one is just faulty and wants to foul, but hasnt quite yet??? hell i dunno. If you all had to guess whats the second best plugs option? or just try another set?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast