Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Occasional blips and farts since installing NGK plugs

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    I'm waiting to pat myself on the back for a good guess. Tuned in, Good luck Buelly!
    So you thinking I should go back up in heat? Either way might be a while before I get anything done. Winter is on its way back and there's no heat in the shed so buelly no wrenchy....

Quick update... replaced plugs. Old ones were gapped to about .30. gapped new ones. .35, ohmed the wires ( a ok). Haven't ridden yet. Fingers crossed. Rear plug is the bottom one...

I am running denso iridium's.....no issues. FWIW even though you found out the hard way. I also check the gap despite them being pregapped just to make sure.

Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by Simplymichaeljr View Post
    I am running denso iridium's.....no issues. FWIW even though you found out the hard way. I also check the gap despite them being pregapped just to make sure.
    IRIDIUM AIR-GAPS: have mentioned this on here a dozen or more times now. do NOT use a metal feeler gauge to change the air-gap on any iridium plug. why? get a magnifying glass....look at the inner surface of the ground electrode....and you'll see why. if you insist on gapping these plugs use something like a match-book cover folded over atop itself until its thickness approximates the gap you're seeking.

Banned
    I adjusted gap on my iridium plugs bending it with plug bending tool and checking gap with caliper. Just do it carefully, do not touch the tip.

👍

IRIDIUM AIR-GAPS: have mentioned this on here a dozen or more times now. do NOT use a metal feeler gauge to change the air-gap on any iridium plug. why? get a magnifying glass....look at the inner surface of the ground electrode....and you'll see why. if you insist on gapping these plugs use something like a match-book cover folded over atop itself until its thickness approximates the gap you're seeking.
    John--Let me clarify. I am under the assumption that you are correct about damaging the plug by adjusting the gap. What I was meaning to say is that I check the gap before installing iridium plugs. If the gap is off I will get a new plug with the correct gap--I will not adjust the gap. The package where I order my plugs from online actually comes with instructions saying the plug is pregapped and to not adjust the gap

I held a feeler gauge next to the electrode, then carefully opened up the gap a tiny bit by grasping the outside of the ground electrode with needle nose pliers and bending it away a bit then check again with the gauge until it looks like it'd just slide in the gap, did slide it in the one plug,didn't force it or anything.

John, Did I fudge up?

It's fine. They just don't want you jamming the old school gapper into the electrodes and damaging them. Be gentle and adjust if needed by bending the electrode strap.

Inactive
    in essence what outlaw said. cody/michael....it goes like this: one of those nuances seldom observed or understood about ignition systems. all "precious metal" plugs such as iridium type also have a tiny dab of identical precious metal on the underside of the ground electrode. the ground electrode being the one that juts out from the threaded plug shell. the spark jumps from the center electrode to the tiny dab of precious metal affixed to the inner surface of the ground electrode. purportedly that method enhances not only the strength(voltage) of the spark but also an iridium plugs' well-known ability to ward off plug fouling. when you start dicking around with a standard feeler gauge to change the air gap inevitably you insert the gauge however gently between the center and ground and dislodge that dab of PM i mentioned above. at that point the plug is junk. i am NOT saying don't change the air gap....what i AM saying is that if you must, be delicate and use that tender loving touch and a "soft" feeler gauge tool such as plastic or match-book paper folded to correct thickness.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast