Thread: Healthy engine?

Healthy engine?

Hi guys. I'm going to buy 2004 XB12R Firebolt. Bike is looking pretty good. Suspension, brakes, wheel bearings, idle pulley, exhaust, oil lines everything is nice dry and without leakage. BUT!! Engine is fire up on touch but I'm not sure that the engine is in good condition because sounds from engine is little bit terrifying me. I'm know that the first models (2003-2004) have problems with oil pump and crack bearings and repair this issue is expensive. So, can you tell me that this engine have good sound? I thankful for every reply.

Here is link to the video with idle engine sound:
    https://youtu.be/5unxNzDp8OQ

Bike is equipped with programmable ecm, Jardine rt1 exhaust and k&n air filter. On guage is flashing 15k miles.

With out an rpm change.... it sounds like Buell

If you really want to know if the engine is healthy, get a magnetic probe and drop it in the swingarm/oil tank. If it comes out of the oil tank wearing an Afro, you know there are internal issues with the engine.
    Probe tool should look like this:
    http://www.farmandfleet.com/m/produc...FRJZhgodJ0INJg

Good luck

For what it's worth my 9R was a noisy son of a gun. I searched the forum and decided to check my primary chain adjustment. It was out of adjustment. Noise level reduced substantially.

It sounded like my bike when I first bought a Buell. I thought the motor was slapping around inside. Lifter noises, etc......but, 6k later during this season and 15k on the clock its great besides replacing a snapped belt which only lasts 15k and a leaking upper rocker box gasket. If the price is right, I would buy it. It looks like an adult ridden clean bike

I think I hear mine being louder or sounding weird every now and then, but shake it off and keep on tearing around on it. If it doesn't brake don't worry about it

I don't want to rain on this thread but you'll know when the engine starts to go. I dissmissed engine noises. End result I knew something was seriously wrong when the engine started to sound like marbles were rolling around in the bottom end. The oil will foretell the future of the engine. Any metal in the oil and you know a bearing or bushing is going. I had a ton of metal in my oil and wound up having a crank bearing failure.
    So, the moral of the story is don't freak out over every noise, these bike are noisy as hell, BUT don't dismiss something you know is unnatural. Always check the oil. It's the life blood of the engine.
    Also, as stated above, insure your primary chain is adjusted properly.

Guys thanks for reply. This bike is more than 500km far away from my house. But I will make magnetic test like chicknstripn write here. Asking price is around 5000usd. It's not so cheap but not expensive. But I don't want make any bigger maintenance. Belt, tires, braking pads, oils is normal when you buying bike but changing crank bearing or head is not so clear.