Thread: 2004 XB12R won't start

2004 XB12R won't start

Dash isn't getting power, no lights, no power. The bike started just fine, I turned it off immediately tried to turn it back on. No go. Fuses good, relays tested and rotated. Battery is good.

How old is the battery? Should be a manufacturers sticker on it indicating the age of the battery/instal date.
    If you're 100% positive it's not the battery then start checking your ground connections. There are probably 100 threads referencing starting/running issues that have turned out to be due to a loose ground connection.
    Also check the 30amp battery fuse that is located in the rear subframe area. It should be located on the left side of the rear subframe close to where the tail light harness connection is located.
    Main grounds to check; the battery ground at subframe, battery terminals and the ground located at the front steering stem/headstock area of the bike.
    Do some google searching and you'll find pics and what not.
    Good luck

A test light and a voltmeter can both be obtained for FREE from a harbor freight tool coupon and will help you much more than us guessing.

Wow do I feel stupid. The problem was the ignition switch fuse. I thought for sure I checked every fuse. Feel free to laugh at my ineptitude!

Why would anyone laugh ?, Your trying and learning ! I just went through something similar, it ended up being the grounds under and behind the head light, so good work to you !

Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by JapanStan View Post
    Wow do I feel stupid. The problem was the ignition switch fuse. I thought for sure I checked every fuse. Feel free to laugh at my ineptitude!
    electrical problems are both tedious and patience-testing. you did well by both being persistent and then following up your post with the remedy. most don't even take the time to do this though they want us to spend time sharing our expertise. having said that pick up a 100 count tray of blade fuses online for like $3. remove fuse box lid and remove each fuse individually. if you see any corrosion however slight on 1 or both of the 2 blades replace. if you see a light tan coloring @ the cross-post replace. the cross-post is the portion of the fuse that pops when terminal. cheap insurance and sound maintenance.

I always have extra fuses in a ziplock in my tool bag with several small bolts (shifter, handlebar controls, fairing mounts). They have helped myself and a whole bunch of other stranded people too