Thread: Lower belt guard?

Lower belt guard?

I've read through some threads about the pros/cons of removing the belt guards and I get that there's some risk involved if stones get tossed up into the belt.

I don't mind the top guard, I like the protection it offers and I like the rear "hugger". But the bottom one is neither here nor there for me aesthetically. I'm used to bikes with chain drives and those typically don't have a lower guard, and I wouldn't be averse to "showing off" the belt a little.

But before I dive into it and risk stripping those torx bolts I was wondering if anyone had a picture of an XB with JUST the lower guard removed. All I can find are pics of no guards or just the lower guard, but not the other way around with just the upper guard.

Thanks.

I much like the stock one that I cut the "inside" out of (earlier style guard) WP_20160614_005.jpg

I'm sure you can do something similar with the newer one too. You didn't specify what year bike.

Hey, that looks pretty good being modified!
    I've got a 2006 XB12SS.

WF are you in Lomita/Harbor City?

Sirius, that's a good way to visually 'thin out' the belt guard. Looks nice!

Here's my STT (same frame as your Ss) with only the lower off. Sorry the bags in the way but it's the only pic I've got.

IMG_2445.jpg

@Cooter

I'm in Tucson.
    Yours looks good.

I went ahead and did mine. Went and bought a T27 driver and put a wrench on the end of it, this way I could really push into it to seat it in the screws and still get some leverage on it. I'm happy to report no stripped screws! So I can modify and/or replace it at any time!

I think it looks pretty good. A lot cooler IMHO. If only the perches were hidden a little more, like if that aluminum backer threaded UP into the swingarm rather than laterally into those perches...

I set up these pictures for a contest through CG, in case someone is wondering why it seems to be a favorite location of mine.

The Ss guards are so ugly. I removed them long ago and haven't looked back. So much sexier without them. It's worth a slightly increased risk of breaking a belt imo.

^^ Especially the hugger and upper belt guard combo. Put the small swingarm hugger and upper belt guard if anything.