Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wheelie Question

I know there are multiple threads on here about wheelies. And I'm not looking to start any pissing contests about who can pull what in what gear or anything like that. But I've been playing around a little with wheelies lately. I am by no means a wheelie expert, but I want to be able to pop it up occasionally. 2nd gear wheelie is all i need. I've been using the clutch just a little to pull it up a little in 2nd gear. It seems a lot easier and controlled than twisting the throtle and yanking on the bars. Is this really bad for the belt? Or the clutch for that matter?

I wore my first clutch out doing 2nd gear wheelies. It seemed so easy to sit back on the seat and and give it a bit extra and ride it out. It seems eaiser to me than fulling out of first gear and switching in the air.

I kept on getting better until I was leaving the bar and tried to show off. needless to say I don't go bar hoping anymore, on 2 wheels or 4. I tend to ride like a little old granny until we get out of town then we have fun!

Dunno about the belt.

FYI- I'm all newbish when it comes to wheelies. No stunt master here.

I always did second gear wheelies without the clutch. 4200rpms in second, back off slightly to preload the front, then nail it and pull back and ride it out.........

maybe i'm not pulling hard enough or not picking the right RPM range, but that never seemed to get it to rise like i wanted it to. I'm sure its possible, so I guess I'll have to practice. I just wish I had a bike to practice on so if i did loop it I wouldnt kill the buell.

I lop'd mine and I didn't kill it. Granted I was going really low when it finially crashed. I have a xb12ss and I managed to hag on while the bike used to license plate to stay upright.

make sure and practice away from other objects like cars and people.

Wheelies seem cool, but I like my bike too much to put that kind of wear on it, or to chance dropping it like that. Sorry Nomore4s, I'm tryin not to piss :D

no worries. I dont want to trash mine either. Done in moderation i dont think its too bad though.

I want to know how some of you do those damn balance wheelies! All i can do is ride one in first through third while accelerating. How do you keep sustained without accelerating?

balance is key, I can't do it but I've seen it so many times. Know how to balance the bike, know how to wheelie for a mile.

yeah jake, I'm assuming you're not leaning it back enough.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast