Thread: 2005 XB9SX running on one cylinder

Threaded View

Well I know Its been a while but Im back and boy am I happy! After doing all the suggestions above (except fiddling with the fuel pump) I was still having the same issues so I decided to do some diagnosing of the wiring loom (which I think I never did). Wouldnt you know it I found a short in the grey wire that controls the fuel pump (always running), the fuel injectors, and the ignition coils. All the areas I was having issues with. Well after a few days of snipping and testing I finally narrowed down the fault to inside the fuel pump itself. Unfortunately I didn't have any way to drop the swingarm to get at it so I let it sit for a while. Today I finally got some lumber and a jack from Harbor Freight and got the bike lifted up.

I ended up replacing the fuel filter, the mesh filter, and the pump itself. I didn't actually see any issues with the wiring but after I put it all back together the short was gone. I just got the pump in the tank and threw some fresh gas in and the thing started right up! Both cylinders are purring like a kitten (although they seem to be running a little hot, might have to get ECMspy running and see what I can do). Not only that but the issue with the pump running all the time is also gone (no need to replace the regulator thankfully since I didn't buy one).

I am so over the moon right now I just wanted to say thanks again to everyone here for their help. This site was invaluable in finding how to lift the bike with a jack as well, so thanks.

Of course now the daunting task of putting the bike back together again. Its been sitting in pieces in my garage since my last post lol. I hope I still have all the screws.

edit: Aaaand wouldnt you know it the second I finish rewiring the main wiring harness (had bypassed all the grey wires with alligator leads) its back to the old issue with running on one cylinder (fuel pump is still fixed though), so the problem is still somewhere in my wiring harness.

Does anyone know where I can find the resistance of each ECM pin to ground so I can do a basic test? Specifically I think my black plug's number 3 wire (brown/yellow) shouldn't have any connection to ground but I'm showing .4 omh.
    Last edited by KClaisse; 07-18-2018 at 12:33 AM.