Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Early XB12R's vs later ones

Best Meme ever Logix! Did you make it?

Happy pre-B-day Lunatic! You should go out the night before and donate to single mothers college funds, one dollar at a time.

Modrunner: The threads and stickies related to buying a used Buell are all very accurate in the details and easy to search for. Basically you don't want the sweet spot. One that has neither sat too long, or been abused. Easy checks for both.

My secret is to read the signs on the bike and the person. Is it a sketchy kid with a mohawk? That things been beat. A mellow old guy (Like Lunatic) with classical playing in the tidy garage? It's been over maintained and babied.

I also look at the other bikes they have (they always have other bikes... A slingshot GSXR in the back with race fairings says 'walk away', a Beemer or Ducati says you're probably ok If you see another Buell (especially one in good shape) just pay what they're asking

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post

Happy pre-B-day Lunatic! You should go out the night before and donate to single mothers college funds, one dollar at a time.

Modrunner: The threads and stickies related to buying a used Buell are all very accurate in the details and easy to search for. Basically you don't want the sweet spot. One that has neither sat too long, or been abused. Easy checks for both.

My secret is to read the signs on the bike and the person. Is it a sketchy kid with a mohawk? That things been beat. A mellow old guy (Like Lunatic) with classical playing in the tidy garage? It's been over maintained and babied.

I also look at the other bikes they have (they always have other bikes... A slingshot GSXR in the back with race fairings says 'walk away', a Beemer or Ducati says you're probably ok If you see another Buell (especially one in good shape) just pay what they're asking

Good advice, I'll take it to heart.

This 04 only has 3800 miles on it... and the guy is asking $3200 for it. Sounds too good to be true, unfortunately it's a 4hour drive to go see it (8 hour round trip). I've emailed with him and he claims it's in perfect condition besides a worn rear tire. Don't feel like making that drive just to find it's a lemon.

PayPal him gas money and have him meet you closer? It saves you double the round trip time and $40 well spent. You both know you're serious...

FYI, that's only 300-ish miles per year. This bike will need maintenance, all of it. Not by mileage, by age. Things won't be 'worn-out' but they will be dry rotted, and rust pitted. Read the 'Buying a used Buell' threads and budget some $$ for the maintenance.

No, sorry to say it's not mine. Actually seen it on BadWeb. I thought it fit though. Most of the memes I actually come up with wouldn't make it pass the censors on here.

Lunatic- I'm with you. The wife can be a hand full in more ways than one. She wears this ol' man out, lol. Probably end up killing me, but what a way to go. Happy Birthday, will have bail money standing by just in case.

I have an 04 and have had very little problems with it. I haven't been able to ride much the last couple years, but I try to put miles on her.

I grabbed an 03 xb9r early spring with 11k for $2500. I've put 7k on it. It wasn't beaten, but definitely not properly maintained. I've literally spent at least one day a week since, doing repairs, maintenance, and upgrades. It was bone stock aside from bar end mirrors and flat black plastics. I plan to hold onto it for life, so investing the time into is well worth it. If you want to get something 08+ I would consider the 1125. I'm looking at one this weekend -- 09 1125r 2k miles $4000. I plan on pulling the trigger next weekend after I give myself a week to think about it. (I chose not to pass on owning a 1125 first, before getting an EBR)

Quote Originally Posted by lunaticfringe View Post
    typically john i find that the "young thangs" not only have a plethora of endless problems and needs....but tons of "daddy issues" as the basis for all that BS. they seem to enjoy and appreciate my counseling, my faux sense of actually caring about their problems....and most of all my wallet. such is life at 62. wait....63 on sunday. Lordy!
    100% true. I'm 33 with a 25 yo girlfriend.......

Inactive

thanks much shaughn for the birthday wishes. the "single mothers college fund" dancers are at the local titty bar tonite. thinking i'll take you up on your advice.

Lunatic - Happy Birthday, Buell Whisperer!

:-)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12