Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: "FNG" XB12 owner w/?'s

Your symptoms are very similar to a failing CPS, like Chicken said.

I would highly doubt an ECM problem, even a mapping issue would not cause it to shut off, and whats the guarantee the 'new' ecm would have the right programming anyway. I would fix the bike before messing with the ecm or mapping.

The front/rear injector wiring codes are a bit troubling. Trace that harness from under the airbox base while doing your grounds.

Cleaned all my grounds, found a stripped ground bolt that wasn’t tight as it could be, rethreaded a longer bolt in TIGHT after thorough sanding/cleans. Both sides of the battery grounds re-done.....and I’m not sure if this makes sense to y’all, but the ground wire from the battery terminal that goes to the hex bolt on the intake manifold seemed suspect. Almost looked as if it wouldn’t ground. It is bolted to plastic. I rerouted it to the braided tower connector just to the rear of the intake, after cleaning those up.
    New intake seals in hand, New battery here tomorrow. Today I ordered a BAS, a CPS, and new oem plug wires. I had noticed some elec tape on my plug wires & found a small nick in the housing under the tape, but seriously so small I doubt it was affecting anything....figured I shud cross it off the list, tho. The P.O. said he could never get this bike running right, & now I’m starting to see why. I feel like I’m spending more time fixing his blunders than I wudda had needed just to find the original culprit.
    I haven’t been working fast (raising a toddler seems to absorb lots of free time! Haha) but I’m hell bent on getting this bike running right.
    I’ll check back as I replace these parts....hopefully with good news!

After I first clean off the grounding spots, I use motorcycle roller chain spray on all fasteners and metal spots, it has an anti corrosive in it and I've used it for years for this specific purpose and once applied have never had a problem.

Njloco, thnx for the tip!
    I have some BelRay & some Maxima Moto chain lube I use on my MX bike. I’ll look into using those.

Quote Originally Posted by MtnRider View Post
    Njloco, thnx for the tip!
    I have some BelRay & some Maxima Moto chain lube I use on my MX bike. I’ll look into using those.
    Don't use a chain lube, it's just messy and not really an appropriate product. Go get some CRC electrical contact cleaner/degreaser, its a blue can and available pretty much everywhere. Use some shop rags around the area when you use an aerosol product, it can be a little messy.

The chain lube is not for cleaning the area, it's for helping to prevent corrosion from happening again.

Quote Originally Posted by njloco View Post
    The chain lube is not for cleaning the area, it's for helping to prevent corrosion from happening again.
    I understood that, and of course using any kind of oil will help with corrosion prevention. I was just providing all in one product option that is better suited for the job.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234