Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Handlebar/Fork Issue

Handlebar/Fork Issue

Hi all,

Ok, here's my current situation. I had a slight garage mishap with my 2009 XB12Ss. The result was (mostly) a bent Crossroads handlebar. Bummer, but alright...I was thinking of trying a new handlebar sometime anyway. So, I bought a Renthal Ultra Low but when I went to install it, it doesn't seat all the way down in the lower handlebar clamp...it runs into the tops of my forks. In looking at the forks and comparing it to pics I can find, it looks to me like they are sitting lower in the triple tree than stock resulting in the tops of the forks being higher above the triple than they normally would. I've attached photos so you can see how high the alignment lines on the forks are above the upper fork clamp. Any thoughts? Perhaps the PO lowered the forks when he installed the Crossroads? I've also attached photos of the rear shock to make sure that it looks normal to everyone and not also lowered in some way.

So, would you recommend raising the forks back up? If so, where do most folks have the fork alignment lines sit on the triple? One line showing? Two lines? In between?

Thanks!

2016-10-11 23.25.02.jpg 2016-10-11 23.25.13.jpg 2016-10-11 23.25.29.jpg

There is a clip that goes on the fork that limits how far up it can go in the triple tree. You are missing that clip. But when that clip is installed, and fork are pressed all the way up, like it should be, it is at the lower line.

The retaining ring that is missing

Inactive
    james: cole nailed it above. virtually all "upside down" cartridge forks have a limiter C-clip installed in a factory groove on the slider portion of the fork. the slider is what installs into the triple clamps themselves. the top of the slider contains all the components in coles' pic above. the purpose of the clip is to seat each fork and orientate it relative to correct height in the top triple clamps. clearly yours have been modded.
    PS-nice call there cole. well done.

I have extras. PM me your address, and I'll send them to you.

Thanks John.
    Last edited by AZmidget91; 10-12-2016 at 01:33 PM.

Thanks so much, guys! So, is it as easy as holding up the bike with a jack under the engine, loosening the upper and lower clamps on the triple tree, sliding the fork tubes into a position where I can install the clips, seating the forks all the way on the clips, and tightening the triple tree clamps again?

Cole...PM sent. Thanks!

The usual suspects nailed this one perfectly.
    I'd like to add that while you have your forks loose and the handlebars off, check the torque on the steering neck.

I have this issue as well. However, whoever installed the bar remedied it by installing Rex aluminum riser block (gross).

I am confused though- does the clip install into a groove?

And do the triple clamp butt up to the clip?

If they do, does the clip mount above or beneath the clip.

Sorry for my confusion

Yes-second pic I posted, the clip is not in the grove. The clip is above the groove.
    Yes-against the bottom side of the top triple tree
    Goes under the top triple tree

Will do, Cooter...good idea.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast