Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: DIY auxiliary displays and datalogging

Quote Originally Posted by rayy View Post
    Marcel, it will be straightforward to add a gear indicator as you mentioned; it is reported by the ECM as part of the runtime dataset. Information on runtime data: http://ecmspy.com/cgi-bin/runtime.cgi. I would like to add navigation as well, but due to apparent limitations in the Google Navigation/Maps Android app, it is a lot more work than I want to take on for now.

Sirius, I agree that there are better options for power supplies- I'll be looking around before I make any purchases and haven't ruled out just building something myself. I'm concerned about transient voltages destroying my project, but even more so about power system noise causing random bugs- there is nothing more frustrating than poring over code for hours, only to find a bad ground or some power issue to be the problem. As far as power output goes you're right, the Arduino will max at about 10W, and the displays power use will be minimal. I figure a little extra clean power for expansion isn't a bad thing though I know the right pile of mosfets, capacitors, and diodes would be easy to solder up, but I'm no engineer so Ill probably leave this part to the professionals. If you have any suggestions or expertise- I would appreciate the help!

AZmidget, this guy did some datalogging and hp/torque estimates for a class project: http://arduinobuell.blogspot.com/, and Ive seen another similar project someone did including a display hacked into the stock gauges, but I cant find a link now. Once communication is up and running between the arduino and ecm, it will be straightforward to run all of the tests that ECM spy can do - coils, injectors, fuel pump, tps, etc.. I know I'm not doing anything really new, just doing it the way I want to

I had an idea this morning that I thought a few folks could find useful: It wouldn't be all that difficult to load custom maps to an SD card and set up the arduino to reflash the ECM on command.. You could have a map for the track, a map for commuting, and a map for those damn 8,000ft peaks just West of here..

Thanks for the feedback everyone!
    Transients are not a problem with those buck dc-dc converters. If anything you can always add two small caps (one input, one output) and call it a day. They are cheap enough to where you can by a few and power whatever you need.

Thanks Sirius, I'll look around for buck converters that fit my required specs- you saved me from mounting a supply in the airbox! Also, I totally misquoted the power draw - 10W is for the raspberry pi 3 I'm using in a different project. The Arduino will use far less than a Watt, including peripherals; that makes selecting power components a lot easier. Looking at the schematics for the Arduino, there are already a couple of 10pF caps on the power input lines, so I'll just run with your suggestion and see how it goes.

I had some time to bang out a lot of code last weekend- everything is written to pull runtime data from the bike, translate trouble codes to descriptions, and then display it in a few different layouts. I've still got to write code to handle user input, do the diagnostic tests/resets supported by the ECM, and then write code to control and display power levels for heated clothing. I'll hopefully have the rest of the programming done this weekend, then the real fun begins.

I'll post code as soon as my development board gets here and I have a couple hours to debug and make sure everything is (mostly) functional.

PS. Maybe this could help/inspire you even more:

http://hackaday.com/2010/08/24/in-da...cycle-display/

Nice find Marcel! How long until a 1190 dash is plug and play? Put me in line for one

I've got a color LCD display mostly working based off Blaylock1988's code Here. I removed all the data logging functions and hard-coded the parameters I wanted it to spit out.I run it off an arduino nano but it times out after a while. I have very little programming experience so I left it there. I wanted to use the e-ink displays, but from my understanding they require a ton of RAM (Like over half of the Arduino's RAM).

Hope you get it working pretty well. I might get back to trying to finish mine if I ever come across some free time.

IMG_20140318_161242.jpgIMG_20140222_202252.jpg

WOW!!!! those look good! The display in red seems to fit perfectly on the handlebar clamp!!!! I really like these projects, so keep up the good work!

Marcel, you found my original inspiration!

I've made some progress since my last post, I've got input buttons and the display up and running, with "pages" for air temp + oil temp, charging system voltage + throttle percent + load percent, trouble codes, TPS reset and the other supported tests, bar graphs for heated gear, etc. I'll be hooking up to the bike in the morning and will post some video or pictures if the display works as expected.

After playing with the display and looking at some links provided in this thread, I've decided to locate the display inside the dashboard on the right hand side, where the indicator lights are currently located. I'll replace the inside panel with a piece of black acrylic, locating the indicator lights in a row along the bottom, using led's to save space. The display will fill the majority of the top area of the indicator section. I'm considering using rectangular leds attached to the back of the acrylic panel, with 3/8" light guide for a flush finish.

Once I've got it hooked up to the bike and working, I'll post code and an updated parts list along with some video-hopefully tomorrow. Next step is to finish the heated clothing hardware, then add an RFID interlock and bump sensors for a diy security system.

I love reading about these projects you guys/gals come up with, I just wish I could figure out what you were talking about. It's still cool to see it finally come to a working gizmo.

Good luck with it.

Hahahaha cool!
    but like they say in many forums: THIS TREAD IS WORTHLESS WITHOUT PHOTO/VIDEO'S !!!!!

but seriously, great stuff! Can't wait to see this on your bike!

Quote Originally Posted by marcel View Post
    Hahahaha cool!
    but like they say in many forums: THIS TREAD IS WORTHLESS WITHOUT PHOTO/VIDEO'S !!!!!

but seriously, great stuff! Can't wait to see this on your bike!
    Videos and code are coming! I swear! My weekend "nerd time" was instead spent replacing tie rods and axles on my fiance's MINI.

I think I've found a MOSFET for my heat controller - STP40NF10L
    From the datasheet, it can handle 40A at 100V, so plenty for my jacket and gloves, and looks like I'll be able to drive it directly from the ardunio's 5v output pins. Can anybody with a little circuits knowledge tell me if I'm on the right track?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast