Thread: 06 XB12R Fuel Pump, CPS, Please Help!

Unhappy 06 XB12R Fuel Pump, CPS, Please Help!

New to Buell as of last month. Fell in love with the bike on the way home. It's hot here on the coast in South GA, but I did my research and made sure the bike was not having any overheating issues. Bought the Buelltooth...wonderful! The bike was running great until last week. I found a small slip in the clutch. I bought a clutch kit from Barnett, and new primary gasket from DK. I have a small leak from the drain plug area for the primary, and wanted to repair that along with the clutch. I remove the clutch only to find that the adapter tool for the clutch removal tool had not been included. After much deliberation I decided to place the primary cover back on the bike and wait for the right tool. Two days later, I am gingerly riding the bike after fueling. Around 3500rpm the sputtering began. So much so that the bike would shut down, and I would have to pop the clutch to start it again. Hobbled it back to my garage. No error codes! I searched the forums for these problems and found that the Tach going wacky along with the sputtering, and dying usually indicates that the CPS is going out. (bike rides fine below 3000rpm). I checked the voltage with a meter at the CPS, check the resistance as well, ran error codes, reset the TPS, changed the fouled plugs, drained the tank by syphoning... Still cant get above 3500rpm without the bike going crazy.

To date... Replaced (4) sets of fouled plugs, replaced the CPS with an '04 from ebay. Took it for a spin last night after the install and guess what... it was great for the first 5 miles. While pulling back in to my community, the sputtering started again. Tach went crazy just like before. I got it in the garage and ran EMCdroid again. This time there was an error code, however no check engine light! Fuel Pump Short To Ground. I have a Walbro 521 fuel pump coming from the manufacturer. Figured if I do find some frayed wires, I would go ahead and replace the pump. 28k on the bike.

My question is, What the crap is going on? Is it really my fuel pump. Did the FP happen to start shorting out right when I finished the CPS job? For freak'n real?

By the way, replaced the battery with a Lithium. Coils are fine, new plugs and wires are good. I have no idea where to look if the short is repaired and the new fuel pump is installed, (not a fun job from the looks of it), and I still have the same issue. You all are a fantastic resource. Please educate me with a potential culprit. Seriously, please pity the soul who begs of you. Shine down your gracious wisdom

Inactive
    your post and info provided is outstanding. not the typical jibberish of "bike won't run...please help me" that we typically see on here nowadays. use the link below for a walk-thru on your pump, replacment, and removal and install. sean wrote it years ago and remains outstanding. i would also add that "fuel pump short to ground" typically indicative of chafed pump wires which happens with frequency on these older stock pump assemblies. see the link. additionally i would replace the fuel level bladder. see my post from 2 weeks ago on how to perform same and the factory part # which is still available.
    while you're performing these tasks i would also remove the fan...it's right there for the asking when working in the pump area....and replace the O2 sensor. bosch interchanges on the cheap. i have them in stock if needed. fouled plugs....bogging during throttle roll-on...dying flat on its face classic lazy O2 sensor symptoms and it does NOT always throw a stored fault code. the ecm needs to see a definitive loss of generated O2 sensor micro volts in order to do that. hope that helps.

http://www.buellxb.com/forum/showthr...cement-from-HD

Inactive
    and more for you:

02 Sensor

02 sensor for buell XB from GM delco GM part #25162693

GM OEM= 8990469 superseded to 25162693

NTK= 21002

Airtex= 553071

Bosch= 12014

Denso= 234-1001

Walker= 250-21001

SNG= SN1-15

Inactive
    and now this:
    pump O-rings.....2 required....OEM part # P0121.02A8

low fuel level sensor....OEM part # P0789.KA

WOW,

Crap you guys are quick to respond. I should have tried to join this crowd way back before I had an XB. Smart people are fun to be around.

I ran back to the garage to tinker after I originally posted. Here's the update:

Checked the connectors at the Fuel Pump. Corrosion. Cleaned them. No error codes.
    Cold run for 7min in 75 degree temps. Ran perfectly. After it began to warm at a stop light in traffic it started taking a dump.
    Back to the garage, Advanced timing just a hair. Instead of 3000rpm, I can now get a whopping 4000rpm before the sputter and backfire cause traffic behind me to slam on breaks and duck for cover... and... you guessed it, not a single code.
    Retard timing and the adverse happens. 2500rpm limitations.

I am beginning to think that the FP, although needing repair, is not the true problem. I am sadden to think that the CPS that I bought may have been bad as well.

I will take your advice and replace the o2 sensor.
    Last edited by XB12'r; 10-15-2016 at 03:26 PM.

Ah, yes,

upon inspection after that brief ride I have found the Shytie cap while in mid backfire apparently blew off of the junk exhaust. I really cant stop laughing. The poor bastard behind me must have been terrified. I did not hear it then, that is the... tink... tink.... tink of the exhaust cap rolling off of the asphalt after splitting the rivets, but I can only imagine the fireball from that backfire. The photos speak for themselves.

So, any advise that you have for me I will adhere to. You see, I need this bike to run. My car was stolen and instead of replacing it I convinced my wife that the Buell would be the most economical thing to do. My marriage is at stake fellas.