Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thinking of going back to stock exhaust - am I crazy?

Thinking of going back to stock exhaust - am I crazy?

Hey guys,
    I have an 03 XB9S with a Jardine RT-One slip on. I am thinking of going back to a stock pipe, mainly for a slightly quieter ride. Am I nuts? Any other ideas? I have roughly 1500 miles on the bike since it was re-packed.

Thanks Guys

It really depends on your comfort and taste, not ours. Have you considered using a DB killer on your Jardine? I'm not personally familiar with Jardines or how much the DB killer helps, but I'm sure there's got to be someone on here that is.

I had the RT-1 with the DB killer. The Jardine by itself had a slight loss of power on the lower end and with the DB killer in, there was a much more noticeable loss in lower end power. I ended up with a Drummer, but that is louder than the Jardine but the performance is much better. If you want quieter, I think stock is the best option for you.

That being said, is there anyone out there with a stock exhaust that is looking for an RT-1?

I went from a drummer back to stock....for like 3 days. Stock was too quiet,had to switch back

I don't think the Jardine on my XB12R is that loud. Certainly not as loud as my S3T with V&H and about the same as my sportster with the Supertrapp Megaphone...
    That said, I am thinking about going to the stock muffler anyway, just to try it. Possibly make the mods to it to get better performance.

I am sure my neighbors would like it at 5:30 in the morning...

Another option would be ear plugs. Since I started wearing them I'm finding I can cruise much longer with less fatigue. Our ears getting bombarded with the noise of an aftermarket exhaust can really wear on ya. I can still hear the thump of my Hawk pipe but it's not giving me headaches. I've been using: 3M E-A-Rsoft SuperFit 33, and would recommend them.

Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by Calvin71x View Post
    Another option would be ear plugs. Since I started wearing them I'm finding I can cruise much longer with less fatigue. Our ears getting bombarded with the noise of an aftermarket exhaust can really wear on ya. I can still hear the thump of my Hawk pipe but it's not giving me headaches. I've been using: 3M E-A-Rsoft SuperFit 33, and would recommend them.
    best advice i've read on here in ages. well said calvin. your brain is constantly processing incoming audio. regardless of helmet choice there is a hell of alot of racket going on when riding at speed for any distance. it not only produces incredible fatigue in a relatively short period of time but will definitely result in substantial permanent hearing loss as you age. how do i know? i'm 63 and other than a short hop down the street on a scooter to the mini-mart.....i never ever ride without ear-plugs. my hearing remains virtually unchanged from my youth. every single friend of mine in my age range rides. every single one of them never uses ear plugs. every single one of them suffers from permanent hearing loss. don't be one of them.

SPeak up! i cant hear u!

Going to pipe in to support the ear plug advice. As someone who (on the side) earns a bit from music studio work (and as a session musician from time to time), my hearing is (to use a corny phrase) absolutely precious to me. I do have some hearing loss (slight) as a result of over 20 years spent flying aircraft on/off carriers...not an ear-friendly environment even with double hearing protection. That said, I can still record/mix as well as most others in the field as a result of "being intentional" about protecting my hearing.

Which brings us to motorcycles - please wear ear plugs (like John and Calvin said) when you ride. It's a small inconvenience that will not only spare your hearing, but also improve your comfort and allow you to ride more and longer...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast