Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting frustrated

Getting frustrated

I love this bike an 09 12SS but I cannot figure out what is draining my battery... I've only done the dual headlight mod abs added the Buell heated grips. Any other electrical additions were bolt on and I took them off long ago... however if my bike is not on the tinder the battery dies! It's a new HD battery I've tested the stator and I'm 90% sure that's fine! The only other thing I can think of is the VR but... have no clue where it is how to test or where to buy if I need a new one.... ugh Buell gods help! Before I make a huge mistake and allow my wife to sell it..

Sorry you're having trouble as electrical issues can be some of the most frustrating. Have you tried tracing at the fuse panel for drain? I can't say I've ever tried this on a bike but I have successfully used this technique for a car. Link to a how to video below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KF1gijj03_0

Good luck and hope you find it!

Go and read the thread bellow. Follow all the steps listed by lunatic. Also, check your 77 connector. Google 77 connector if you don't know what it is. Lots of info available about the 77. Hope this helps.

http://www.buellxb.com/forum/showthr...e-VR-or-stator

You may also want to check this thread out about adding a voltmeter. That way you can keep a constant check on your battery and charging.

http://www.buellxb.com/forum/showthr...-in-this-forum
    Last edited by lancruza; 10-22-2016 at 12:06 PM.

Inactive
    I've only done the dual headlight mod abs added the Buell heated grips. Any other electrical additions were bolt on and I took them off long ago... however if my bike is not on the tinder the battery dies!

1-inference that your bike has been dicked with prior to your ownership. those "electrical additions" removed should be double checked for shorts to ground and sound connections.
    2-your VR is mounted on a dedicated bracket at front of front cylinder exhaust port. if OEM it is the black colored large finned box roughly the size of a pack of camels.
    3-your fresh heated grip install must be positive switched. you are aware of that....correct? in other words the grips CANNOT come to life unless the key is in the ON position. are they?
    4-do what levan suggested above. follow my steps. battery must be fully charged for proper testing. HOWEVER....before delving into any blade fuse removal.....i will tell you that in all likelihood your VR is at fault. how will you know? simple. hook up your multi-meter precisely as i described. look at the milliamps read-out. now go to left front of bike. see the factory air intake cooling scoop? look inside of it. see the pair of tiny plastic finger clamps being held by the scoop? push them out of the scoop....remove the 3 torx holding the scoop to the bike....remove scoop....and now unplug those 2 connectors. look at your multi meter and you'll see a very large change in the read-out. you just found the source of your problem. it is the VR.
    YOUR TEST PROCEDURE:
    1-battery fully charged.
    2-remove negative battery cable at battery terminal. NOT at ground attachment point
    3-set multi-meter to DC AMPS.....NOT dc volts......DC AMPS! pin it between the end of cable and battery terminal. check your reading. if more than approx. 0.250 you have a parasitic drain
    Last edited by user_deleted; 10-22-2016 at 01:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Naibaf82 View Post
    I've only done the dual headlight mod abs added the Buell heated grips.
    i would start by reversing these 2 mods to make sure they are not the problem

Ok I've taken my battery out to get charged going to pick it back up in a few! Bike was a bone stick virgin when she came into my life! So I would be the only person messing with anything electrical in which the headlight mod I totally F'ed up when I first did it but I went back to be sure I had solid connection which I do now but I will get a new head light harness to further correct! The heated grips are not alway hot they I made sure if that! But when I get my battery back I'll test my VR and figure this thing out thanks for the info!!

I bought a battery from the HD and it would not hold a charge , they wanted to blame it on me, and had to test it for 2 hours before they would give me a new one, Said it was policy sorry. It was just a lemon second one was fine. just throwing it out there.
    Last edited by Silverrider; 10-22-2016 at 09:35 PM.

I went threw the same issue Silverrider needed a new battery went to HD to replace it and the one they sold me was a dud and would not hold a charge and just like you they had to test tried to say it was me they tested again then replaced it cause they figured out that they sold me a bad battery so this one should be good yo go I just took it off the charger going to test everything tomorrow

Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by Naibaf82 View Post
    I went threw the same issue Silverrider needed a new battery went to HD to replace it and the one they sold me was a dud and would not hold a charge and just like you they had to test tried to say it was me they tested again then replaced it cause they figured out that they sold me a bad battery so this one should be good yo go I just took it off the charger going to test everything tomorrow
    google "punctuation".

Quote Originally Posted by lunaticfringe View Post
    google "punctuation".
    hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha, luv it!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast