Thread: Ulysses cooling fan question

Ulysses cooling fan question

Hi,

I have an '09 Ulysses XT. I bought the bike and immediately swapped out the stock ECU and pipes for D&D pipes and EBR Race ECU designed to run with the D&D pipes. This set up has been fantastic. I've run for two years and over 11,000 miles with absolutely no issues. The one question I have is with this set up my fan only shuts off whenever I get below about 10 mph. It will go on if I sit at idle too long the sensor will kick on the fan. It will also run for a short time after shut off if really hot but that is rarely the case in Upstate, NY. I think I only remember this happening one time but it does show the sensor works for this purpose. As far as I can tell my fan is always running when I'm going above 10 mph although at cruising speed I can't hear it. I was told the fan was rather delicate and was not designed to run this much. My sense is with the way the engine sits between the frame, having the fan running most of the time would sound about right. Personally, I wish they'd come up with a better way to cool the rear cylinder. Never like to depend on an electrical component.

Any thoughts?

Inactive
    your stock fan is a Spal brand. very robust assembly with quality innards. it receives constant 12 volt positive current. it is activated via the ground wire which is controlled by the ecm. the ebr ecm has far different fan logic if you will than the stock ecm. the fan activation you described and length of run times sounds about right for the ebr ecm. if there is a way to change this fan logic on the ebr ecm i don't know how or the values to change same. several ecm gurus on here who might. i'm not one of them.

This /\ ebr can certainly put the stock fan logic on it, but from what I remember reading the updated settings are much better for comfort.