Thread: Seriously looking at a 2008 xb12xt

Seriously looking at a 2008 xb12xt

I'm very seriously looking at a 2008 xt with 12,000 miles. I have a Ducati and a HD Streetrod. Both of these bikes have limited touring capacity and gravel roads are a death sentence on them. I'm not interested in serious off-roading, maybe the occasional fire road. I'm located in the Toronto, Ontario area but I'm interested in touring to the East and West Canadian coasts, hopefully taking some scenic routes.

The bike does not have the comfort kit, the tires have good tread but they are old, battery is dead and one fork seal is starting to weep. The bike starts with a boaster pack but the engine light turns is on and it does not turn off. I don't have the error code but I suspect the code is related to sitting for a while with a dead battery.

How big/expensive is the fork seals to replace your self? I have done standard forks, never inverted.

Bike is in fantastic shape, like new. Visually never abused. The tail flap thing still needs a key to unlock. Seller wants 5000 USD which seems reasonable but that is a lot of money for a 9 year old, out of production motorcycle. Parts and experienced service people have got to be tough to find.

I am drawn to the uniqueness of the air cooled buell, like I was drawn to the water cooled HD Revo motor.

Suggestions and things to look out for?

Thx
    PDKSH
    Last edited by pdksh; 11-02-2016 at 11:22 AM.

Well first the bike is MUUUCH better suited for touring than most ducatis and although my v-rod was a standard with foward controls, im going to bet its still alot more comfy than your street rod!! So thats a Plus! I've been told by many mech's. that the forks on these are pretty simple and easy to service so the seals shouldnt be a big problem. Kind of taking a gamble on the check engine light, but you're right its likely from low voltage causing tons of faults. I recommend Harley's batteries (JUST MY OPINION) my original in an 07 just got replaced over the winter! Its going to need all the fluid changed and probably a fuel system cleaning so keep that cost in mind. 5k is a little high considering the work the bike needs, but I'm guessing theres not a ton of ULY's laying around up there so not a horrible buy. @12k miles check the rocker box gaskets seems like almost all of them go around 11k???

But what you should really buy is a lightning long from someone in Nebraska, just sayin..............

Inactive
    having owned combination of 7 ulysses/XT models....here are my thoughts(XT and Ulysses same model for this discussion):
    1-$5000 US fair consistent price here on the east coast for an XT with all luggage intact, nice cosmetics, serviceable tires and pads and battery, no active CEL light, no rideability issues, ready to ride down the road with no issues.
    2-your description lends itself to a rough estimate of approx. $1000 in total cost to have a buell/H-D pro totally go thru the bike and bring it up to proper road-worthiness.....half that amount if you do ALL the work yourself. use that $ amount during purchase negotiations.
    3-myself and many other board members are experts on these bikes and work on them daily. all of us will occasionally take a gamble on a non-riding/non-running buell if purchased at rock-bottom price. we know what it takes to make one road-worthy and how to accomplish that. you do NOT. i strongly advise anyone in your situation against buying something like the bike you described UNLESS you can not only hear it run but at least shift it thru all gears at least 1X to assure proper trans operation. if not you're purchasing a total crap-shoot.
    4-the XT is a great bike and 2008 a great year for XB's. lots of nice factory improvements. minor inexpensive upgrades make it an even more pleasant bike. they are very reliable and have great longevity IF not abused by prior owner and subjected to lots of red-line shifts and excessive engine heat. if they have been they eventually go terminal.
    5-if you pass on this particular buell and don't find another to your liking.....consider the suzuki v-strom 1000 adventure. incredible v-twin, big power, 87 octane fuel, great mpg....and one of the finest motors in all of cycling. here's 2 of mine.....Picture 037.jpgPicture 009.jpg

Pdksh-
    Lunatic is definitely on point. I bought an '08 XT, also with 12k miles, last November and really love the bike. It was basically in perfect working order and had all the luggage intact, comfort kit, Jardine pipe, and a bunch of extras. Tires were tired (excuse the pun), but were still rideable. I paid $4,300 and felt like that was a decent deal but reading through posts I gathered that it wasn't an extraordinary deal. Other bikes out there to be had in similar condition for similar cash. Personally, with the unknowns you described I'd probably not want to pay more than $3,500 to $4,000, but like lunatic I'm pretty comfortable doing all repairs myself and willing to accept the risk. I think that if you keep your eyes open you'll find a better deal. After all, now is the time of year to find a good deal on a bike, especially if you're willing to travel a little to find it. One other note, I personally would avoid the pre-'08 models as they suffer from a handful of issues that were resolved in '08+.

I plan on offering 4000 USD and maybe I should hold out for a test ride to test the transmission

Just don't test ride it with that battery, that is if it is indeed a bad battery ? It could be a grounding problem especially if it sat for awhile. I bought my Uly in May of this year and absolutely love it but, I did have grounding issues, they are easy to fix. If it comes with the racks and hard bags and everything is in really good shape ?, Let the seller buy the right new battery for it and show you that everything works and it runs well, take a little test ride, if all is good and he drops down at least $500, buy it. Don't forget, cash in hand is a great negotiator!

Good luck

I have owned two different uly's. both were 2008 models. The first I traded for Heritage Softail but, I always missed my Uly. so I recently picked up another 2008 Uly. You cant go wrong the versitility of the ULY awesome for rough road or if your uncertain how the roads will be. Kinda like driving a SUV, you're ready for anything. My Heritage is like driving a lazy boy down the road and if I really want to ride I take the Uly. nothing like it ive ever experienced. enjoy.