Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: In memory of my step-dad

In memory of my step-dad

Hi all,

I wanted to share with you all some news about my step-dad (Kevin Cahill). We found out last Wednesday that he was diagnosed with a very aggressive and advanced cancer. At first, we thought he might have weeks to months to live. But, his lungs ended up shutting down very rapidly and by Sunday night he was gone. Thankfully, he passed relatively peacefully and painlessly. He played a significant role in my developing interest in motorcycles when I was a teenager (over 30 years ago - yikes!). I have fond memories of riding together...him on his big, candy red 1982 Suzuki GS1100ES and me on my blue 1975 Honda CB400F. One of the last conversations we had over the weekend was him sharing stories with me about owning a 1955 Harley in his younger days. He had stopped riding quite a few years ago, but motorcycles remained near to his heart to the end. Anyway - I wanted to share his passing with the group with whom I now share my passion for motorcycles. Please keep him in your thoughts the next time you're out for a ride.

James

James, Truly sorry to hear about your loss. Glad he went painlessly like you stated. You will always have the memories with you, if it wasn't for him you wouldn't be riding motorcycles. I will keep you and your family in my prayers. Next time out on track I will dedicate that session to him. We have chatted privately before, if you need ANYTHING pm me brother. Sincerely, Wally

Sorry to hear about your loss, I truly believe he will be riding with you whenever you put a helmet on.

My condolences, definitely have your family in our prayers.

Inactive
    have known you a long time james i can surely say that if kevin was anything like you he was not only a great guy but honest, reliable and a real joy to be around. having lost 7(hard to believe) of my very best friends in the past 6 years to a multitude of ailments including cancer and old-age...believe me when i say i know how difficult this is for you and though this is part of lifes' ebbs and flows it still remains incredibly difficult to deal with. God bless you and comfort you during your mourning.

It's hard to loose those close to us. It's even harder to understand that we will all be just pictures in a photo album some day.

Thanks, Wally! That means a lot to me. Kevin and I never got the chance to ride on a track together...but we sure enjoyed fast curves.

Thanks, njloco...I will certainly be taking him with me whenever I go riding.

Thanks, djs2k2...it means a lot to know that there are folks out there thinking of us.

Thanks, John. Sorry to hear about your losses as well. When Kevin was asked in his last day by the doctors if he wanted more extreme intervention to try and keep him alive longer he said "It's natural, necessary, and universal." And asked to not have more done to try and keep him alive. It was a powerful moment, and a reminder that we are all here for a short time...it is part of the ebb and flow as you say. It is difficult to deal with, but I'm happy for all the moments we had...impermanent and fleeting as they always are. Thanks again for all your thoughts.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast