Thread: 2 pink micro swithes above coil

2 pink micro swithes above coil

Hello all: just brought my first Buell home . 2009 XB12XT. Purchased it knowing it had an issue (love a good mystery). Seems after riding till it warms up the front cylinder develops a miss at idle. Took it for a good hard test drive and it performed like a champ till I parked it in the garage and sure enough front cylinder miss. Pulled codes nothing pertaining to existing problem. About to pull plugs and check for fouling when I noticed a portion of the harness above the coil with 2 micro switches painted pink. Anyone know what these do ? Are they bypass switches for the ignition?
    Thanks

Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by j elsom View Post
    Hello all: just brought my first Buell home . 2009 XB12XT. Purchased it knowing it had an issue (love a good mystery). Seems after riding till it warms up the front cylinder develops a miss at idle. Took it for a good hard test drive and it performed like a champ till I parked it in the garage and sure enough front cylinder miss. Pulled codes nothing pertaining to existing problem. About to pull plugs and check for fouling when I noticed a portion of the harness above the coil with 2 micro switches painted pink. Anyone know what these do ? Are they bypass switches for the ignition?
    Thanks
    when you remove the airbox cover, airbox lid, filter, airbox base-plate....you then can view the top of motor including coil and plug wires, etc. if you are referring to the pair of super thin pink colored wires that terminate into a tiny plug assembly i don't have the answer as i never figured out the purpose of that gizmo either. another board member might have.
    your dead front cylinder sounds heat related resulting in loss of spark at idle. simplest and most expeditious place to start is the coil, plug wires, spark plugs. your bike is almost 8 years old so in conjunction with fresh plugs(NGK-DCPR9EIX) also consider new plug wires. simplest old-school way to determine what is going on at "hot-idle" is to get your hands on a "spark-stick". simple hand held device that you place on a running motor plug wire. if wire is firing the plug properly it illuminates the stick. sears....harbor freight....lowes....home depot...auto parts stores all stock them. handy tool to have and very inexpensive. get one and test your bike at hot idle before ripping into it. then consider what i suggested above. if that doesn't resolve your problem it then is either lack of fuel delivery at idle or loss of compression....or both.

had an issue I fixed was idle adjust cable was rubbing on my coil wire and chewed thru the coil wire,I didnt see it until I pulled the coil wire off excellent advice from lunatic as always