Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pretty sure my stator is going out.

Pretty sure my stator is going out.

Read up on charging issues after rear brake switch died followed by low beam, then a second low beam almost instantly, and finally the high beam. Performed checks at battery and stator.

Bike at idle reading 13.7v
    Rev to 2-3k rpm initially went up to 14.4 then would spike to 18.8v every so often and tail light would bright like hitting the brake.

Stator results 26v @idle
    55v @ around 2500
    Continuity within spec

My question is should I just get an OE one if I can find one, or are there better aftermarket regulators out there?

2008 XB12s ~9000mi

Banned
    The symptoms looks like bad voltage regulator. It looks like Buell XB has unreliable VR, my VR is broken too at less than 16500 miles. I ordered a new VR from 2008-2013 HD Sportster and I'm going to attach it on my 2009 Buell XB12Scg and report back. I already asked here question about alternative VR and it looks like no one here installed any another VR than the original. Ebay asks 120$ for new Buell XB VR, it is pretty expensive for such old stuff, new HD VRs are cheaper. I still does not have HD VR on hands but according the picture the HD VR wires look shorter and mounting holes in another spots. So possibly I will need to extend the wires and also build a bracket to attach the HD VR to the Buell XB.

Do you use any additional electrical accessories on your motorcycle?
    Last edited by TPEHAK; 11-11-2016 at 02:23 PM.

No accessories I'm pretty bare bones with this one. I have heated gear but haven't used it but maybe 10 times.

Is the HD unit plug and play connectors and for a single phase system?

Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by Flatout View Post
    Read up on charging issues after rear brake switch died followed by low beam, then a second low beam almost instantly, and finally the high beam. Performed checks at battery and stator.

Bike at idle reading 13.7v
    Rev to 2-3k rpm initially went up to 14.4 then would spike to 18.8v every so often and tail light would bright like hitting the brake.

Stator results 26v @idle
    55v @ around 2500
    Continuity within spec

My question is should I just get an OE one if I can find one, or are there better aftermarket regulators out there?

2008 XB12s ~9000mi
    you've just described all the classic symptoms of a faulty VR. replace same. the 03-07 unit is designed for the 3-phase charging system stator while the 08-10 unit designed for the single phase system stator. 08-10 VR has different plugs than the earlier VR units and leads attach behind factory left front air intake scoop. be sure you order up the correct VR for your 2008.
    tell-tale signs of a VR headed to VR heaven include burned out bulbs...brake/clutch/sidestand switches burned up...relays hot to the touch...battery fuse that continues to burn out and pop. i'll also add that all XB charging systems are not only robust components and a very simple design but typically charge well and have longevity. the system is simply a fixed set of windings typically called the stator, with a rotating magnet set whirring around it(bell rotor), a regulator to remove the sine waves, and a fuse and connector plugs. in the cycle world as basic as it gets. i know of no aftermarket VR plug and play assembly that is available so go with OEM. if your financially challenged both evilbay and several board members offer used ones for sale in the $50 price range. just be damn sure you purchase the 08-10 unit. H-D parts check availability still shows over 1000 available thru the dealer system. IMPORTANT: in addition to above you will also want to remove your seat, remove fusebox lid, look at schematic, find the BATTERY fuse, and replace same. it costs 10 cents and has now seen it's fair share of amperage overload meaning it will "pop" at any moment. replace it for peace of mind.
    Last edited by user_deleted; 11-11-2016 at 02:46 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Flatout View Post
    No accessories I'm pretty bare bones with this one. I have heated gear but haven't used it but maybe 10 times.

Is the HD unit plug and play connectors and for a single phase system?
    According the picture connectors are the same and for a single phase system https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 . According 2008 HD Sportster Electrical manual alternator circuit is the same as 2008-2010 Buell. But I do not recommend you to buy it before someone will test it, I expect the HD VR in a couple weeks.

I do recommend you to clean all ground terminals and battery terminals, inspect the fuse box and perform VR test one more time just to make sure that it is VR issue.

Quote Originally Posted by lunaticfringe View Post
    you've just described all the classic symptoms of a faulty VR. replace same. the 03-07 unit is designed for the 3-phase charging system stator while the 08-10 unit designed for the single phase system stator. 08-10 VR has different plugs than the earlier VR units and leads attach behind factory left front air intake scoop. be sure you order up the correct VR for your 2008.
    tell-tale signs of a VR headed to VR heaven include burned out bulbs...brake/clutch/sidestand switches burned up...relays hot to the touch...battery fuse that continues to burn out and pop. i'll also add that all XB charging systems are not only robust components and a very simple design but typically charge well and have longevity. the system is simply a fixed set of windings typically called the stator, with a rotating magnet set whirring around it(bell rotor), a regulator to remove the sine waves, and a fuse and connector plugs. in the cycle world as basic as it gets. i know of no aftermarket VR plug and play assembly that is available so go with OEM. if your financially challenged both evilbay and several board members offer used ones for sale in the $50 price range. just be damn sure you purchase the 08-10 unit. H-D parts check availability still shows over 1000 available thru the dealer system. IMPORTANT: in addition to above you will also want to remove your seat, remove fusebox lid, look at schematic, find the BATTERY fuse, and replace same. it costs 10 cents and has now seen it's fair share of amperage overload meaning it will "pop" at any moment. replace it for peace of mind.
    I thank you sir, really appreciate the info on availability and the extra tidbit on the battery fuse I wouldn't have thought to replace it simply because it's still not "popped". I came across several threads about adding the volt gauge to instrument cluster and have one on order, just for added info. New Castle's price plus shipping is only about $115 so not too terribly much more than a sporty, except it is OEM and will be going with that.

TPEHAK, I am still interested in your findings with the H-D Sporty VR for future when Buell units finally dry up.

Finally, I came across a few threads tossing around the idea of VR relocation or at the very least adding longer bolts and spacers under the VR... Is this actually worth doing? Spacers and bolts would be less than $5 from Lowes/Home Depot.

Flatout-
    Follow lunatics advice. His advice comes from years of ACTUALLY REPAIRING MOTORCYCLES TO THEIR ORIGINAL OPERATING CONDITION.
    The man knows what he's talking about. Technical know how trumps speculative insight any day of the week.
    I'd trust his advice any day of the week.
    Replace your voltage regulator.
    Your symptoms are spot on for a VR failure.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicknstripn View Post
    Flatout-
    Follow lunatics advice. His advice comes from years of ACTUALLY REPAIRING MOTORCYCLES TO THEIR ORIGINAL OPERATING CONDITION.
    The man knows what he's talking about. Technical know how trumps speculative insight any day of the week.
    Thanks I planned on it. I may not have a ton of posts, but I've found many of my issues resolved by that man through searches!

It's nice to have experience confirm your suspicions!

Just placed an order over at Surdyke for $106.40
    Last edited by Flatout; 11-11-2016 at 04:34 PM.

Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by Chicknstripn View Post
    Flatout-
    thank you so very much for the kind words carlos. was extremely nice of you to say those things.

Finally, I came across a few threads tossing around the idea of VR relocation or at the very least adding longer bolts and spacers under the VR... Is this actually worth doing? Spacers and bolts would be less than $5 from Lowes/Home Depot.

yes it is a good idea. you're looking to get the backside of the VR away from the hot exhaust header and port area. shimming it out an inch or thereabouts a nice easy worthwhile project.

Banned
    HD VR works http://www.buellxb.com/forum/showthr...366#post579366

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast