Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Battery fuse (30a) blowing

Battery fuse (30a) blowing

What did I break?

I replaced the VR and the 77 connector pins after some other issues. Now the bike won't run or turn on at all. It blows the 30a battery fuse as soon as I touch a new one to the fuse box. I'm assuming I did something wrong, but not ruling out a bad VR - though it was new from the dealership.

Thoughts?

2006 - 13,200 miles.

Did you wire the plug back wards

Banned
    Does it blow the 30A fuse with disconnected VR? If yes there is shortened circuit somewhere in motorcycle circuit. You will need multimeter and electrical scheme to test the circuit and find the shortened wires or bad component. If not, this means the VR is bad.

I believe it blows the fuse with ignition key turned off?

Sounds to me like you crossed some wiring up somewhere. The fact that the fuse blows instantly is a clear sign something is wired incorrectly.
    I would double check the wiring.
    You might want to start from scratch on the wiring.
    Good luck

The instructions didn't specify which side should be red and which side should be black, so it is entirely possible I did them backwards. The fuse blows on contact even with the key off and out. I'll try it again tomorrow with the VR unplugged. Another thought I had was that the two wires may be touching inside the 77 connector I had to build, maybe the crimping wasn't tight enough (used pliers, don't have the special crimping tool).

Banned
    Disconnect both battery leads and connect them together, then insert multimeter leads in the 30A fuse slots and watch continuity and resistance playing with wires and plugs. There should not be continuity.

You have to find which plug, or wire, or unit is causing continuity.

Double check than you properly connected the battery leads, if you have a few leads make sure you follow proper polarity.

Possible issue there is a positive wire somewhere can touch the ground.
    Last edited by TPEHAK; 11-12-2016 at 11:37 PM.

If it started blowing after the 77 conector was installed, then your issue is in that area most likely

You must have some of the pins in the wrong places. You need to look in manual at wiring to see where you went wrong.

If you swapped positive and negative in the VR then you will have the battery positive going directly to ground via the 30A fuse.

This recent post related to the same topic gives you a clear circuit diagram and how to check which of the black leads on the regulator is ground.
    http://www.buellxb.com/forum/showthr...check-this-out

As for the instructions - I just opened up my spare regulator that was supplied with the later type '77' connector (Kit Y1312.02A8)and in between Step 2 and Step 3 there is this warning.
    NOTE
    Make note of wire locations in connector. If necessary, label
    wires before removing the connector.

If you didn't get the official instruction sheet for the replacement of the '77' connector let me know - I can scan this and email it (3 pages).

Luckily it turned out to be a simple crossed wire connection. I switched the pos for the neg. Pulled the 77 connector apart, switched the wires and all is well. Bike started up and nothing seems to be amiss. Thanks for the feedback.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast