Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: VR Shell need to be Grounded?

Ok, I have tested the stator and no shorts to ground with ~ .3 ohms between the terminals. Also Tested > 50V ac at about 2000 rpms. I then replaced the VR and it is running very well, 14.45V DC at the battery at most rpms. Lights are a lot brighter, motor runs better, power port, cooling fan, startor, etc.. everything is running better. Calling it fixed. Also when replacing the headlight bulb I also replaced the little bulb in between the low and how beams with a white led which gives a brighter silhouette on both lights.

Inactive
    ^^^^^yes....classic faulty VR voltage burst. be sure to purchase correct one for your 09. 08-10 models single phase charging systems so single phase VR required. price you mentioned about the going rate for your 2009 uly VR NIB.

Yes, thought I might have needed a stator as well, but tested and working great. I have been adding 2 to 4 oz's of M1 75w-90 gear oil to M1 20w-50 in the primary for about the last 15 K miles. They, being google searches, say the stator does not like gear oil and common cause of failure? I am addicted to gear oil now, so glad it is holding up with just a few oz's. Also motivated me to get into the wiring and do a little grooming under the yokes and I added a USB power port to the handlebar next to the phone mount. I have 44K miles on my Uly and think the VR was probably due to be changed, glad it was easy to order and only a few days to get shipped from St. Louis. The biggest thing I notice is how bright the lights and headlight is now. I think I am good for another for 40K miles.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12