Thread: Deciding on a friend's 2006 XB12 lightning converted into firebolt

Deciding on a friend's 2006 XB12 lightning converted into firebolt

First of all, thanks for letting me into the forum.

I'm new to this forum because I needed Buell owners' thoughts/advise on getting a friend's '06 XB12 Lightning that he converted into a Firebolt and has a lot of new stuff that he has done to it. The bike that I want to buy is the yamaha FZ07 but obviously will love to have a buell.

How expensive/difficult is it to maintain this Buell motorcycle, how user and highway friendly is it?

I'll like to hear what you guys think.

Thanks!

In a nutshell this is what he has done to the bike:
    Very very nice 2006 Buell XB12 (1203 cc) Lightening ::: converted to Firebolt.

Fresh engine and transmission rebuild (<500mi). Freshly Powder coated cam, primary and rocker box covers in crinkle matte black.

K&N air filter w/ modded intake cover. Wrapped exhaust header (fiberglass).

Blue skins w/ black frame and subframe.

Anodized gold wheels, shifters and accessories.

Brand new rear tire, great front.

Solo seat cowl cover. Rare subframe storage option (not installed)

Comes with orig Buell xl riding jacket w/ protective inserts, as well as a large orig Buell helmet in near perfect condition. Light cover included.

Never raced, never down, always adult owned and cared for.

~10k miles

Fresh engine and transmission rebuild
    Never raced, never down, always adult owned and cared for.
    ~10k miles
    Those 3 comments don't go together..... in order to need a engine and trans rebuild at 10k miles, it was raced and beat on, or it doesn't have 10k miles.

Rare subframe storage?
    If you're talking about the trunk all xb12r Firebolts have, let me be the first to tell you it's NOT rare. I actually have a whole tailsection, minus the subframe for sale. It's a "rare" sunfire yellow.
    All ribbing aside, considering the questions you're asking you might want to walk away from the Buell.
    That is unless you're mechanically inclined and like to wrench on bikes.
    I would ask for proof of the engine and transmission rebuilt. That is NO light hearted task. The cases have to be split in order to rebuild the transmission. Usually the cost of having a mechanic rebuild a transmission and or the labor intensity of rebuilding the trans is more than most people feel a bike is worth.
    What's the price of the bike?
    That and documentation of the work that has been done to the bike will be the true measure of friendship with this rare deal.

I've known the Buell XB12s to be reliable and relatively inexpensive to maintain (filters, oil, belt, brakes, fluid, grips, tires, bars, bags, fork seals, wheel bearings, exhaust, battery) for a a machine built in 2004 with 24k miles on it. I also know that it was not designed as a highway friendly motorcycle. There are a lot of old farts on this forum that can help you out with these bikes (depending on their mood and your spelling / grammar) but they and most here are really committed to the Buell brand for a variety of reasons. To answer your questions, in a nutshell, I would say that the Buell will be more entertaining for non-highway use than the FZ-07 but you gotta have some money in your bank account to maintain/modify a Buell. The FZ-07 is also a great machine that any rider can enjoy and also much better suited for the highway. Just my .02

Inactive
    There are a lot of old farts on this forum that can help you out with these bikes (depending on their mood and your spelling / grammar) but they and most here are really committed to the Buell brand for a variety of reasons.

watch it there ron! LOL have a nice thanksgiving my friend.

Quote Originally Posted by lunaticfringe View Post
    There are a lot of old farts on this forum that can help you out with these bikes (depending on their mood and your spelling / grammar) but they and most here are really committed to the Buell brand for a variety of reasons.

watch it there ron! LOL have a nice thanksgiving my friend.
    Haha! lol You got me, John! Happy Thanksgiving to you too and the rest of the ol' turkeys around here!!

A rebuild at 10 k? He has some mansplaining to do.

"There are a lot of old farts on this forum that can help you out with these bikes (depending on their mood and your spelling / grammar) but they and most here are really committed to the Buell brand for a variety of reasons."

So funny A literal lol

+1 for you