Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Interactive valve on XB12 exhaust rattles

Question Interactive valve on XB12 exhaust rattles

I put a stock XB12 exhaust on my XB9 with the valve left in closed position, I like it quiet. The valve itself rattles loudly when the bike is on, it stops if I hold a screwdriver to it. What should I do to quiet it once I drop the exhaust again? It looks like there's a nut on the valve I could tighten. If that doesn't work, smear JB Weld on it?

Banned
    There should be a spring on the top side of the exhaust on the valve axle to prevent rattle.

You can see the spring on the picture below

Last edited by TPEHAK; 11-30-2016 at 01:54 PM.

Inactive
    If that doesn't work, smear JB Weld on it?
    sure. or that super-duper high-temp-proof- duct-style-tape like NASA used on the Apollo 11 LEM.

Quote Originally Posted by TPEHAK View Post
    There should be a spring on the top side of the exhaust on the valve axle to prevent rattle.

You can see the spring on the picture below

Thanks!

For a less permanent fix, you could safety wire it shut or smear the copper hi-temp RTV on it. Good luck.

How does it run with the valve closed all the time? I would be super curious to see a dyno chart. We all like to scream about back pressure, I bet it would prove interesting things.

Screw back pressure! 20161105_155521.jpg But yeah I'm curious how well it runs with that valve shut!

I would wire it OPEN!

I have never seen that spring, I have a special ops and stock exhaust and it is not on either?

It should on All Buells with the Interactive valve as seen here on my Uly that been Hawked.
    025.jpg
    Last edited by Silverrider; 12-02-2016 at 12:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    For a less permanent fix, you could safety wire it shut or smear the copper hi-temp RTV on it. Good luck.

How does it run with the valve closed all the time? I would be super curious to see a dyno chart. We all like to scream about back pressure, I bet it would prove interesting things.
    I checked today and the spring is visibly there. Hopefully the nut is loose, or glue it is.

I previously had a debaffled XB9 exhaust, which sounded awesome and gave me 1600 rpm rebound wheelies. No more of that with the valve closed. It feels like I lost 7 ft-lbs below 3000 rpm but gained 15% power from 3000 to 7000, where I mostly ride. I'm winding it out a lot more now that it's not 117dB at redline, so it's faster

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast