Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2009 XB12R Rebuild/Restoration Thread

2009 XB12R Rebuild/Restoration Thread

I picked up a 09 xb12r that has had a rough life.
    Rebuild will be pretty extensive so I decided to document it here for anyone that might do the same.
    First picture is from when I picked it up.

First step was going through the bike and finding what's all wrong.
    -Frame needs to be replaced.
    -Primary starter gears stripped.
    -Starter is probably bad and will be replaced.
    -I found a crank in the bottom of the case below where the clutch would be. I think it's repairable but case will have to be split.
    - oil pump housing needs to be replaced as one of the threads for the inlet line were stripped and damaged.
    - new shifter.
    SO the first step was to take it apart.

Things I am looking for if anyone has them.
    -oil pump housing,
    -oil line that is on the bottom that goes to the bottom left of the swing arm
    -rear brake lever
    -08-09 header
    -chin fairing,
    -muffler mount that bolts to the engine.

I had an oil cooler inlet line fitting break of in my oil pump housing and was able to find it at the local Williams oil filter store for $5. Tapped out the old threads. Used high temp thread lock. Snugged the fitting, making sure the angle was plum with the oil line. Used high temp thread lock on the other end of the fitting. Used a propane torch to cure the thread lock on both sides of the new fitting. About 2k miles later and no leaks on the new fitting. This may save you $150 instead of a new oil pump.
    20160930_104828.jpg
    20160923_194504.jpg
    20160923_194501.jpg
    Last edited by Simplymichaeljr; 12-02-2016 at 08:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Simplymichaeljr View Post
    I had an oil cooler inlet line fitting break of in my oil pump housing and was able to find it at the local Williams oil filter store for $5. Tapped out the old threads. Used high temp thread lock. Snugged the fitting, making sure the angle was plum with the oil line. Used high temp thread lock on the other end of the fitting. Used a propane torch to cure the thread lock on both sides of the new fitting. About 2k miles later and no leaks on the new fitting. This may save you $150 instead of a new oil pump.
    20160930_104828.jpg
    20160923_194504.jpg
    20160923_194501.jpg
    The previous owner already tried to "repair" it and its really too far gone. they did some horrible dermal work and tried to glue it all in. There are no threads left in the housing itself and i think its too big of a hole for even an thread insert.

Finally got a little more done, so it is progressing but a bit slowly.
    Got the engine apart

Over all its in pretty good shape. However i did find a problem. There was a small crack in the bottom of the case on the primary side.
    So the case is at the machine shop being repaired right now. It looks like the previous owner attempted to "fix" it.

Starting to clean everything up now. The frame, swingarm, and wheels are at the powder coaters right now.

I did take a short break though to go see these today.

Also i picked up an exhaust today. Who can name it?

Beson full race exhaust. I have one on my xb9r.....loud AF. If you don't like it and end up wanting to get rid of it lmk I will take it off your hands. Looks like the can outlet is pointed to the wrong side. Also, I see it has hairline crack repairs. How much did you fork out for that?20160920_113525.jpg

Last edited by Simplymichaeljr; 01-16-2017 at 09:23 PM.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast