Thread: '05 XB12R firing on one cylinder - fouled spark plug

'05 XB12R firing on one cylinder - fouled spark plug

So I cranked the engine cold and the engine was only running on one cylinder. What was the first thing I did? The first thing YOU should do when you have a service related issue with your XB - looked through the forum here to see what others have encountered. The overwhelming consensus was fouled spark plug. Everybody on here is awesome. Thank you everyone. What a great help you all are. It had been quite a while since I installed the new pair of plugs (one of the first services if did after buying the bike, along with an oil and filter change), so it was reasonable enough to give that a go - even if that wasn't the cause, at least that would eliminated what it was NOT the problem in the troubleshooting process. As you may well know, changing the plugs on our bikes is not extremely difficult, but also not exactly an easy stroll in the park either. A little tricky to get to, especially the plug on that rear cylinder. Do yourself a favor, an old trick I probably picked up here - as an aid when installing the new plugs, slip a few feet of rubber or vinyl tubing on the contact tip of the plug and use the tubing to maneuver the plug into place and to spin the plug to start it on the threads and continue spinning it to get it "finger tight". Went ahead and replaced both plugs of course. As with the last plug change, used the spark plug brand that is most highly recommended on the forum for our bikes - NKG Iridium IX, DCPR8EIX. Torqued the plugs down, installed the plug wires, and it fired right up, both cylinders, no miss. When I was researching on the forum here what can cause firing on one cylinder, I also read that it is easy to foul a plug by revving the engine just immediately before shutting off the engine. That is something I never do, but I did it this once and that is exactly what happened. Now I know not to do that. Post if this was helpful to you.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by vtech007; 12-02-2016 at 04:36 AM. Reason: Typos

A lot of Folks on here like to use the NGK DCPR9EIX instead of the 8 ones. Not sure what I put in my mine it was so long ago, 2012, and been running great ever since.

Thanks for the details!

Banned