Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FNG XB9SX dies and wont restart without kill switch cycle and 30-60 sec wait.

FNG XB9SX dies and wont restart without kill switch cycle and 30-60 sec wait.

Hello all, I just bought my first bike a XB9SX 2006 with 29k on it and a K&N filter on it. i have ridden in town getting used to the bike and it has died on me twice. first time was at a stop light in 1st gear at 20mph roll up to light. It just cut off like I hit the kill switch. It was about 45* F out and no lights came on ( cylinder light or any other lights). Second time was in 3rd gear at 45 mph and i took my hand off the throttle to stretch it and it died in the same manner. this time the temp was 35* F. I"m unsure of the history of the bike or mods besides the filter. I've dug through the threads and lack of experience is leaving me stuck. it feels like it runs well when its working properly and i get a fair amount of poping on decel but i don't have the riding or buell experience to know what normal feels like. i didn't find any exhaust leaks and iit has a volt meter installed and makes 14v consistently until it dies. Also on restart after i wait the spedo dosen't work for about 2 min or so. if anyone has any ideas it would be greatly appreciated. thank you for your time.

Inactive
    the first requirement is to realize why it "dies" on you. if it shuts off softly and gives just a hint in the process that it might want to surge forward however subtly....that is typically fuel related and sourced at the pump. kill-switch type death that you described is always electrical meaning the ignition system is affected adversely. the very first thing to do on your cityX is remove the seat, remove the fuse-box cover, review the cover schematic showing all fuses and your 3 relays then do this:
    remove BATTERY fuse and replace. it's 10 cents! replace it. next is remove the IGNITION relay. take it to any auto parts store and purchase new. ford and chrysler a/c relays match up. it is 20 amps. match it to an identical 20 amp relay that they have in stock. dimensionally including the pin-legs it must be a precise match. then carefully check both battery terminals and cable ends. do NOT just look at them....remove the cable ends, clean everything thoroughly, replace and tighten. follow the negative cable over to the frame attachment point. do the same thing there. lastly....since you mentioned your "spedo" which i'm assuming to be your speedometer cluster....go to front of bike and locate your "4 ground wire cluster". it will be a grouping of wires either attached to the bottom triple clamp pinch bolt or the tube head-stock. find them....remove the fastener....clean...check for tight terminal ends.....replace. NOTE: a CPS unit component that is acting up sometimes, in an odd way, affect the speedometer cluster but this is extremely rare. lastly.....see diagnostics info below. DO THIS! report back with how these diagnostics work out. your problem may lie elsewhere but this is the place to start that typically resolves most of these DOA situations. others may advise adding 3 gallons of SeaFoam to your tank but i'd start here.

Easy. First thing to do is locate your diagnostic test plug under the seat. It's an empty four pin connector. If you're looking at it with the pins facing you and the locking tab at the 12:00 position, the pins are numbered as follows:

Pin 1 -- upper right corner
    Pin 2 -- lower right corner
    Pin 3 -- lower left corner
    Pin 4 -- upper left corner

With the ignition switch off, install a jumper wire across pins 1 and 2 in the diagnostic plug.

Turn the ignition switch to the ON position and wait approximately 8 seconds for the check engine light to start flashing.

All trouble codes are sent out as a series of flashes. To retrieve the first digit of the code, simply observe the number of times the lamp flashes.

The transmission of a trouble code is always preceded by six rapid flashes (about 3 per second). This transmission is followed by a 2 second pause in which the lamp is off. The lamp will then flash one or more times to indicate the first digit of the trouble code. The length of time that the lamp will be either on or off when indicating a trouble code is about 1 second in duration.

Following the transmission of the first digit in the trouble code, there will be another two second pause before the second digit is transmitted.

After the second digit is transmitted, there will be another 2 second pause. After the pause comes another intermission (six rapid flashes) after which the next stored code is transmitted in the same manner. Once all the trouble codes have been displayed, the sequence will repeat.

If all you observe is the rapid flashing, then no trouble codes have been stored.

When done, turn the ignition key off and remove the jumper wire.

There is no way to clear trouble codes using this method. The only way to clear codes without hooking the bike up to a computer is to take the bike through 50 start and run cycles (start engine, run for at least 30 seconds, shut it off).

The trouble codes are as follows:

11 Throttle position sensor
    13 Oxygen sensor
    14 Engine temperature sensor
    15 Intake air temperature sensor
    16 Battery voltage
    21 Interactive muffler control (XB12 only)
    23 Front fuel injector
    24 Front ignition coil
    25 Rear ignition coil
    32 Rear fuell injector
    33 Fuell pump
    35 Tachometer
    36 Cooling fan
    43 Speed sensor (I added this one)
    44 Bank angle sensor
    52, 53, 54, 55 ECM failure
    56 Cam sync failure"
    Last edited by user_deleted; 12-10-2016 at 10:14 AM.

Thanks brother, I'm definitely saving this one.

Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by njloco View Post
    Thanks brother, I'm definitely saving this one.
    my pleasure kenny. and SeaFoam........never forget SeaFoam. it cures most Buell ailments and is also an outstanding condiment for your holiday egg-nog.

My 2003 XB9R had a weird stalling problem too but mine was due to a shorted ignition wire cluster, also at 30,000 miles. Not sure if Buell lengthened this harness for your year model but the '03 wires would get pinched when locking the front wheel and that caused them the stretch and fray after 30K miles.

Update to post. Took about a week of fiddling with the bike in my free time bit I isolated the failure to my B.A.S. (bank angle sensor) under the seat. I unplugged the sensor to isolate it and confirmed the bike saw it and popped a cel for sensor voltage low. Have 250+ miles on it now and no issues. Harley quotes $56 for the sensor new or eBay for $15- $20. The purpose of the sensor is to kill your fuel pump and ignition in case to bike is dropped to prevent fuel leakage and fire. Since to bike lost all power to instruments and logged no fault I went though and isolated all items controlling power to the bike. Main ground, key switch, kill switch, relays, and b.a.s. hope this helps. Thank you for the replies guys.
    Last edited by Zeroconcern; 01-19-2017 at 01:32 AM.

Johnny was right on, electrical interruption! It is good you chased out down and solved it.

Good luck with the bike.

Good troubleshooting!
    Lunatic, I'm glad you're on our side. That post took a lot of thought and time generosity.

Quote Originally Posted by jl551c View Post
    Good troubleshooting!
    Lunatic, I'm glad you're on our side. That post took a lot of thought and time generosity.
    am I the only one who pictured Lunatic as an old Buell grouch wearing an A-shirt sittin in his garage smokin cigars and typing epic posts on a greasy keyboard?

Quote Originally Posted by HighwayHum72 View Post
    am I the only one who pictured Lunatic as an old Buell grouch wearing an A-shirt sittin in his garage smokin cigars and typing epic posts on a greasy keyboard?
    He doesn't look like that at all. He actually looks just like JJ Walker from "good times" except he wears action pants and cowboy boots and his cell phone has a hinge!!!!!! That and he doesn't know how to play my go pro track footage from an SD card I sent him.......

Last edited by wickedchop; 01-19-2017 at 09:46 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast