Thread: New Guy! XB9R question

New Guy! XB9R question

Hello everyone. Ive been given a XB9R that is in a million pieces (taken apart by previous owner). The top end of the motor was off as well as the cam cover. It is apparent that the oil pump drive gears had gone bad and that the reason for dismantling was to repair this problem among others. I have replaced the cylinders and pistons and noticed when reassembling the cams that the crank seems to have a small amount of play in the bearing on the cam cover side. I see that it is a needle bearing and that the crank also sits in a brass/bronze sleeve inside the cam cover. I guess the first question of possibly many is whether this play I can feel in the crank bearing is normal....

The second question is this.... When the oil pumps go bad in these engines and the gears get badly chewed up, how often is it that other internal engine damage is caused by the metal filing etc that are put through the engine while this is happening? The gear was really bad! The only visible damage is a half tooth missing from the 3rd cam. Looks like a piece of steel got in there and snapped it off. Ive replaced the cam but am hesitant to put the motor back together with the play I feel in the crank bearing.....

Thanks in advance for any help. Ive never worked on a Harley/Buell engine. Alway japanese until now. Im excited! I always wanted one of these bikes.

Jason

First off, I would download or get the shop manual for that bike, it should have clearance data in there. I've never worked on a basket case Harley, but hopefully someone who has jumps in.

There's tons of guys on here that could chime in. I would ask wickedchop, squidbuellie, or xr1200

Ok so I answered my own question. I tore the cases apart and the crank bearing is worn badly. Obviously this is why the oil pump gears in these bikes goes bad. The main bearing on the side of the oil pump is a wimpy little needle bearing. As this wears, the gear lash between the oil pump and the crank changes dramatically and self destruct. I guess Im into a full rebuild now!

Does anyone knows where I can buy crankshaft bearings for this bike? I assume not from HD anymore. I've searched everywhere and can't seem to find anyone online that sells parts like this. Thanks for any help!

simplymichael, thanks for the props but i am definitely the wrong dude on here when it comes to repairing these things. I can break any bolt anywhere on nearly any motorcycle...lol. Jason, idk if they are still in business but maybe try twin motorcycles in the Netherlands. im sure azmidget or chicknstripn can be of more help. lunatic will probably know where to get what you need as well. good luck man....

For parts try your local HD or surdyke HD. Surdykes website is fairly easy to navigated you'll just need to know the part numbers.
    Try www.buellmids.com
    I know you can find a service manual there and I THINK you can find a parts manual there as well.
    I have a bunch of left over miscellaneous seals and bearing from the rebuilds I've done. If you post a parts list and some pics I might be able to help you out with a few things. I wouldn't charge anymore than shipping if I have something you need.
    Good luck