Thread: Spark plug wires - replace

Spark plug wires - replace

Hi all.
    Going to have both spark plug wires changed as soon as I get the new ones that are coming by mail. Anyone had this experience before? Wondering if itīs something easy to do, that I can get done at home without advanced tools or if I rather take it to the mechanic for this service.

Cheers.

Mario

You should be able to do it on your own, are you also going to change the spark plugs ? either way it's not all that difficult, just takes time. You should be able to find enough tutorials and pictures by doing a search to make it easier.

Look under, "do it yourself mods " then, Dave's DIY videos (all in one thread)

It's in there !
    Last edited by njloco; 12-12-2016 at 08:22 PM.

Inactive
    mario: here are the steps for all XB models:
    1-disconnect negative cable from battery terminal
    2-remove left front factory air intake cooling scoop
    3-remove airbox plastic cover
    4-remove airbox inner lid. it just unsnaps. you must gently twist and pull the frame/tank air vent rubber tube from its frame fitting prior to removing inner lid. if a 12 model leave all attachments connected and merely set lid aside.
    5.remove air filter
    6-remove the 4 torx screws holding airbox base plate to frame/tank. do NOT strip the torx heads or you'll have a huge nightmare on your hands.
    7-gently lift up right rear corner of base plate and unplug the IAT sensor. be gentle so you don't break the sensor in half by using too much force while unplugging the harness plug. now lift base plate up and over the rubber throttle body air intake boot. be gentle with this step and take your time.
    8-with the above accomplished go to front spark plug and remove boot. now go to rear plug and remove the boot. a very long dedicated needle-nose pliers makes it eash
    9-now remove the 2 allen bolts holding coil to engine bracket. unplug the harness from the coil. out comes the coil with the wires. replace the wires and reverse the removal procedure to complete the job.
    IMPORTANT NOTE: spray a bit of lube....anything will do....into the new plug wire boots prior to slipping them into the coil pockets and over top of the plug towers. makes it much easier. spray same lube onto the entire lip of the TB air intake boot. that little trick makes it a snap to reinstall lip of the boot onto the base plate. use a long thin flat blade screwdriver to form the lip around the hole in the base plate. lube is the trick.
    Last edited by user_deleted; 12-13-2016 at 11:53 AM.

I use extensions and a knuckle to get the plugs out. Remember to hand tighten the new plugs before torquing. Also, no need to gap iridium plugs. Make sure the boots are fully seated onto the plugs, you will know when it fully seats.

Very good step by step write up.

Nice write-up, John! Just did mine a few weeks ago....pretty easy job. While I was at it, I also replaced the plugs with NGK iridium plugs (Pt.# DCPR9EIX). Still wrapping up getting the bike back together, but looking forward to seeing how they run!

Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by submax View Post
    Nice write-up, John! Just did mine a few weeks ago....pretty easy job. While I was at it, I also replaced the plugs with NGK iridium plugs (Pt.# DCPR9EIX). Still wrapping up getting the bike back together, but looking forward to seeing how they run!
    thanks for the kind words james. DCPR9EIX plugs work great in the XB models. been using them for decades with great results. if i don't talk to you before hoping you and yours have a wonderful Christmas out there james.

Superb write-up! Thanks a lot everybody.
    I am actually having just the wires changed as the plugs themselves have been replaced 3 months ago. Just waiting for the new IronMachine wires come in by mail to put them in place.

A very Merry Christmas and peaceful New Year to you and yours as well, John! We might actually get a little snow rather than just the normal NW Oregon rain...at least in the next few days. No more riding for me this winter...but I'll have the XB ready to go come spring.