Thread: 2001 X1 Stalls under load

2001 X1 Stalls under load

Hi

I have a 2001 X1 that I keep at my holiday house and use once a year for a month while i'm there.
    It has run fine over the last few years - some hesitation at certain throttle settings in the past but not enough to worry me.
    This trip when I got here it would not start.
    I drained and replaced the fuel, fuel filter and spark plugs and now it runs fine in neutral.
    It will rev freely from idle to the redline in neutral.
    If I try to accelerate in 1st gear (under load) it dies after 5-10 metres.
    After it dies it will not start immediately unless i prime the fuel system (turn key on and off 2-3 times) and then it will fire up no problem. This makes me think it is a fuelling problem.
    I have done a tps reset. Idle is about 1000, TPS @ 4.4 degrees.
    I have removed the fuel hose from the pump side of the fuel filter and tested the pump pressure by hand and it feels super strong (not sure if it is valid to detect low pump pressure this way or if a subtle lack of pressure will impact fuelling so drastically - I thought that for it to die so quickly there would have to be a substantial lack of pump pressure).
    I ran ECMspy to check for error codes and was showing code 23 (front injector voltage) but that has gone now (I ran injector cleaner so not sure if that could have helped or if this is an electrical connection only)

I'm not sure where to go form here. Have searched the forums to get this far but not found a similar issue yet.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Matt

Inactive
    matt: i've never owned or even worked on a pre-XB model buell but sure sounds like loss of fueling. your provided info and trouble-shooting procedure is excellent by the way. clearly it loses fuel pressure under the lightest load from your description. i'm not much help here but if the O2 sensor is easily accessible by you i would try unplugging, removing, cleaning the signal generator tip portion of it and reinstalling....then seeing what you have. an X1 expert might chime in and identify a closed loop/open loop problem but sure sounds like loss of fuel flow to the motor. one other consideration matt: VERMIN! have you closely checked the wiring associated with the coil as well as pump for "chew-thru" and mice nests in the airbox assembly? just a thought.

Thanks lunaticfringe. I started going through the sensors because figured it must be a sensor killing the fuel tank. Suspected the bank angle sensor as I have had a custom tail installed. Removed BAS and bike goes fine (except for engine warning light now showing error). It was installed wrong. 😬

I hate when that happens !

i had this exact problem a few months back, was fine at idol, but after a few mins under load bike started surging and running on one cylinder, then died out. had to wait a few mins then started up again. after trying a million things and testing everry sensor, sent my injectors away to be tested and flowed the guy originally said the injectors were fine when i fully explained the issue he left them in the tester for 30mins and one started to play up, pouring way too much fuel then kept working intermittently, so i brought some secondhand injectors, replaced my ones and after 1500km's it seams to have solved the problem.

Ps if the b.a.s was the issue, leave the bad sensor plugged in and turn it off in emcspy and that stops the light from coming on.

Quote Originally Posted by Resh View Post
    i had this exact problem a few months back, was fine at idol, but after a few mins under load bike started surging and running on one cylinder, then died out. had to wait a few mins then started up again. after trying a million things and testing everry sensor, sent my injectors away to be tested and flowed the guy originally said the injectors were fine when i fully explained the issue he left them in the tester for 30mins and one started to play up, pouring way too much fuel then kept working intermittently, so i brought some secondhand injectors, replaced my ones and after 1500km's it seams to have solved the problem.

Ps if the b.a.s was the issue, leave the bad sensor plugged in and turn it off in emcspy and that stops the light from coming on.
    this sounds like it could be my issue. I recently cleaned the injectors. They work fine when I start, but get worse as the bike warms up.