Thread: Paint starting to come off rear pulley

Hybrid View

Paint starting to come off rear pulley

Hi Guys,

As mentioned in the title it seems like my paint is coming off my rear pulley. I saw it when I was swapping the rear tire. Now the belt is just 3000km old and seems to have some wear on the (out)side. Some very thin strings in the length of the belt (really on the side of the belt (rightside). On the inside (lets call it the middle) the Belt doesn't seem to wear. But exactly this part is in contact with the pulley. So on a couple of spots the paint jus chipped off. It's almost as if the pulley corroded underneath.

Is this common, harmful or anything else?

thanks in advance

Oh, its a XB12Ss '09 model

This is common more so in the Florida weather areas. What State are you in ? Re paint ,powder coat, or get a new one.

Inactive
    an almost perfect match to the OEM pulley paint is chrysler mopar performance 426 hemi black wrinkle finish spray bomb for the 66-71 "street" hemi. also eastwood company down near philly has it. google eastwood restoration and you'll get their site.
    a SLIGHT and i mean SLIGHT chafing of the belt on either outside or inside is normal during run-in but that is it. if it's shredding on the outside belt edge it's classic sign of failing rear wheel bearings. replace the idler pulley bearings at the same time. both sets are inexpensive and nice evening project. rear wheel bearings can be a bitch to remove but i have the procedure if needed. also i highly recommend against powder coating the front or rear belt pulley UNLESS the powder coater outfit can manage to completely block off the belt tooth grooves of the pulley. sadly my experience has been that coating those grooves renders the pulley useless.
    Last edited by user_deleted; 12-28-2016 at 04:10 PM.

Cheers for the tips guys. I live in Holland, so that's going to be tough to come by. I was also thinking about having the powdercoated, but I won't do that anymore now XD. I think I'll try to take off the paint where the belt runs on and give it a spray. However I don't think the paint will stay on. What material is the original pulley made out of anyway? Alu?

Greets

You could try a good poxy paint, since you can't get what John recommended. Make sure to follow the application instructions as they sometimes need a primer.