Thread: Engine Swap

Engine Swap

Hi everyone, blew my tranny and thinking about an engine swap.

My bike is an 2008 XB12R and I have a lead on a 05 XB12S engine. My bike is still perfect other than the tranny. Can I just use my right side engine case, oil lines, throttle body, and the Voltage regulator etc? I was reading that the oil lines and wiring harness are different etc, but these should all be fine for my bike as is correct (as long as I swap the right side engine case)? Wouldn't that only be a concern if I was swapping the newer engine into an older frame? As for the wiring harness, is the Stator completely different in the older engine or something? Are there different plugins on the older engine?

Does anybody know what I have to do to complete the swap?

the 05 motor is different everything. harness, ecu, cams, oiling system. def not worth stepping down to the 05. just wait a couple days ill have the 09 for you.

^^^^^I believe he is correct. You're gonna want 08-10 year models. That is the upgraded thunderstorm motor.

Thanks guys, I talked to an EBR tech yesterday he confirmed it's not worth the transplant.

I'd have to buy a new harness (for the cam sensor), and a new swingarm (for the oil lines) at a minimum.

I thought I could maybe swap the throttle bodies, valve covers (no biggy) and the right side bottom end engine cover for the cam-sensor-to-crank-sensor switch (as well as fix the oil line problem) but the 05 flywheel is not toothed to drive the '08 Crank sensor. The tranny can't be transplanted separately either as the '05 remains the straight cut gearing while the '08 (from '06 onward) has helical gears.

Thanks again for the input gentlemen <- no offense intended

Cheers,

Adam