lately, issue, times, highway, ulysses, coast, start, scares" /> Ulysses stalling problem
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ulysses stalling problem

Lately I've been having a stalling issue with my 08 XT. I always let it warm up, but sometimes and radomly, it will just die on the road, it'll coast and start back up. On one ride to work one morning, it died 5 times going down the highway. It scares the crap out of me. Sometimes it happens during a hot day.
    I took it to the dealer and they said that they can't reproduce the problem. Any ideas or suggeations. I love the bike, but if this problem can't be solved, I may just trade it in for a Ducati.

Do the lights and everything come on or does everything cut off? I guess what Im trying to ask is when it dies do the warning lights come on? If not do the headlights shut off when it dies?

Make sure your plug wires are secured to the plugs properly. Check battery cables. If the mechanical stuff is ok (Spark Plugs, Wires, Ignition, Battery, etc.)then I would assume it's the ECM. I would look for an inexpensive 08' ECM and switch it out to see if it solves the problem. You may just have a bad ECM.

Yes, when it dies these engine light comes on. I didn't get have this problem until I used a gutted muffler. I reinstalled the stock muffler yesterday.

I reset the TPS according to these instructions:

Resetting the TPS on 08+ Buells does not require external Software to perform a TPS reset, but
    DirectLink can be used to confirm that it is set correctly. The 08+ Buells are equipped with Idle
    Air Control logic, and the idle air and speed is under ECM control. The fully closed butterfly
    position is set by a stop that is cast into the throttle body, and there is no external throttle position
    stop screw.
    To reset an 08+ Buell, do the following:
    1. Turn on the key.
    2. Set the kill switch to the run position.
    3. Don’t start the engine. Rotate the throttle from fully closed (gently forced closed) to fully
    open (gently held open), and then back again to closed (gently forced closed).
    4. Repeat 3 times. Hold each position (fully open, fully closed) for 1 full second.
    5. Turn the key off and on.
    6. If you connect to Directlink, a fully closed throttle should indicate 3.7 to 4.2 degrees. If it
    doesn’t, repeat the above steps.

Well, I don't have a DirectLink cable. I just took it on a 20 mile ride. It seems to idles better, around 1k vs 1.4k. The throttle seems smoother, and tourque is flat rather tham jerky. I can almost get it to wheelie now. I will have to monitor it to see if it stalls again.

Sounds good ctmallam. Gutted mufflers suck...LOL Correctly modified mufflers or aftermarket are the way to go.

Gutted mufflers suck...LOL
    Exactly, I was going for cheap sound, but it sounded like crap. Backfiring and sputtering! The stock sounds good and performs fine to me!

Originally, after you mounted the gutted muffler, did you do a TPS reset right after? If not, that's probably why it ran like crap.

I did not. However, I don't know if the interactive exhaust is a gimmick or not, but there seems to be more torque now.

You always need to do a TPS reset after doing a mod like the exhaust/intake. In fact the Owner's manual recommends doing them at regular intervals anyways.

TPS Reset or not. Gutting your muffler is a waste of time. However a well modified muffler and a TPS Reset go hand in hand especially if you go a step further and have Xopti tune your stock ECM which apparently he can now do with ECMSpy.

Xopti's Website

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast