lately, issue, times, highway, ulysses, coast, start, scares" /> Ulysses stalling problem - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ulysses stalling problem

Gutting your muffler is a waste of time.
    Not necessarily, all depends on what he means by "gutting". Surely he didn't mean it's now just a hollow can.

Alright, it finally happend again, but was scarier. I was on I-95 at about 1 am and as soon as I passed a tractor trailer, my bike went completely dead! After about 3 seconds it came back on, but i had coasted off the road. I'm glad the trucker saw me. This POS is not safe. I took it to the dealer last time it happend and they said they could not duplicate the problem. Of course they couldn't! It's random! I'm at a loss, how can the dealer fix a problem if they can't diagnose it? It's obvious something electrical.

My Sportster would do the same thing. Never anything scary, but it did strand me a time or two. It ended up being an broken pin in a connector.

Fire up the bike and wiggle, pull, push, shake, and poke every connector and wire you can get your hands on.

Took it in for the 5k service. The techs said that there is a service bulletin for the battery to frame grounding screws. Due to the anodizing on the ground screw, it may cause arcing at will cut off the power intermitently. Covered under warranty.
    They also informed me of water contamination in the clutch area with a rattling noise under the clutch cover. They are also fixing this under warranty. Sucks having to wait, but I'm glad they are observant.

they dont want to take the time screw them ... trade it in when its running

This is an older post, but I wanted to see if anyone is available to follow up on the solution. I am experiencing the same problem with my '08 xb12xt. I brought it back to the dealer I purchased if from (used) and the first time they could not replicate the problem. They now have had the bike for almost 3 weeks and only had one instance where the bike died and now can't reproduce it again. I printed this blog and dropped if off with the bike. They claim to have checked the grounds and are not any concern with the grounds. The last thing that I heard is that they are going to switch out the ECM. Not sure if this is the solution, but we'll see.

Any information is greatly appreciated.

What was the outcome of your misfires Weirdload? I've been struggling with a very similar issue. Seems to run fine till about 20 miles in..think it is a heat issue but..it will surge, chug, die, backfrire and generally try to get me killed. I've changed air filter, plugs, fuel, fuel filter, tightened every ground I could find, (didn't grind paint off of boss) and checked all electrical connections I could get to. No sign of melting or bad seated connectors. Took it to HD dealer the other day and they suggested I write them a blank check to troubleshoot it. They did however put it on the diagnosis tool for me and it kicked out a Throttle Control sensor error, exhaust flutter value stuck open; stuck closed, and the angle bank indicator had error. I'm riding a 2006 XB12X 21k miles. The Angle bank sensor recall has been done..(located now behind seat latch) ...I will try the dielectric grease trick for all connections, put some tephlon oil on the cable (under air cleaner cover) for exhaust Valve and grind the paint off the boss just to be sure. Anyone else have a solution or similar problem?

Sirvincentblack,

I just got a call this morning that my bike was ready to picked up. I will follow up once I hear everything they did. The second time that I picked it up from the dealer, after they replaced the ECM, I stuttered and stalled within a mile of riding it. They claimed to have checked the grounds, but when I went through the bike, it appeared they didn't even touch them. I did call HD and they sent over the Tech Tip that gave the recommendations of how to clean the main battery ground. Hopefully they did it right the 3rd time round. In the description of the tech tip, it even described the intermittent loss of power and such. I can scan in and send you a copy of the tech tip if you need it.

I will check with the dealership when I pick up my bike and let you know what else they did.

So I got the bike back and they cleaned up the grounds, replaced the right hand control and I guess it threw a code for the exhaust switch and they replaced the valve switch. I have put on about 50 miles since I got it back and it appears not to be stalling out. I wish all they did was the grounds so I could pin point the solution, but I still feel pretty strong that it was the grounds. Hope this helps.

Jason

Weirdload,
    Just wanted to check back with you and see if your still enjoying a trouble free ride? Also if you'd scan me the copy of the tech tip you mentioned. I about got my clock cleaned this morning by a gravel truck when the bike died...gotta get this figured out. Question, when you say they replaced the right hand control are you saying the whole throttle on the handle bars?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12