Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Muffler rear strap mounting

Muffler rear strap mounting

Hi all,
    I'm using new rear muffler straps to install my muffler. Each strap came with two nuts (so a total of 4 nuts for the two straps). My old straps only had a single nut on each strap. The manual doesn't seem to mention whether there should be one or two nuts (the schematic only seems to show one). Do you all use two nuts per strap or just one? Not sure why there are two...is the second supposed to act as a kind of lock nut? If so, why not just use a lock nut?
    Thanks!

I have never seen a double nutter, please show us a pic. All my XB have the single 7/16 safety nut strap.
    Last edited by Silverrider; 01-30-2017 at 08:02 PM.

Here's a stock pic I found online showing the two nuts. That's basically what came in the package when I bought them at my local HD dealer.

https://www.motoline24.de/bilder/pro...-S112302A8.jpg

it must be for a jam nut Vs the safety nut that is on mine, which I like better, hard to get at any way.
    Last edited by Silverrider; 01-30-2017 at 06:17 PM.

Interesting. So, is the nut on yours a lock nut? The nuts that came with this strap are regular nuts. I only put a single one on. But, maybe I should use both.

Yes, on all my buells came with one safety. IMO, Use one safety nut.

4.18 EXHAUST SYSTEM, Assembly and Installation
    Muffler mount fastener, front 16-18 ft-lbs 21.7-24.4 Nm
    4.18 EXHAUST SYSTEM, Assembly and Installation/
    LOCTITE 27 (red)
    Muffler mounting block fastener, rear 32-36 ft-lbs 43-49 Nm
    Muffler strap fastener, front 108-120 in-lbs 12-14 Nm
    Muffler strap fastener, front 108-120 in-lbs 12-14 Nm
    4.18 EXHAUST SYSTEM, Assembly and Installation/
    You need to alternately tighten the fasteners
    to torque a total of three times to make sure the
    straps are evenly tightened.
    Muffler strap fastener, rear 48-60 in-lbs 5.4-7 Nm
    Last edited by Silverrider; 01-30-2017 at 09:11 PM.

Yeah...I followed those instructions in the manual and saw that same figure. But, mine had the two regular nuts. I wonder if they went to a jam nut in the latest version of the belt for some reason. I'll do it again either using a lock nut or use both nuts that came with it as a jam nut configuration. I've never done that before. After doing some digging, it sounds like to use jam nuts you start with one nut and torque it to about 1/2 spec and then add the second and torque it to the full spec. Either way, it definitely sounds like I shouldn't just use a single, regular nut. Should have listened to my instincts as I was putting it together.

Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by submax View Post
    Hi all,
    I'm using new rear muffler straps to install my muffler. Each strap came with two nuts (so a total of 4 nuts for the two straps). My old straps only had a single nut on each strap. The manual doesn't seem to mention whether there should be one or two nuts (the schematic only seems to show one). Do you all use two nuts per strap or just one? Not sure why there are two...is the second supposed to act as a kind of lock nut? If so, why not just use a lock nut?
    Thanks!
    james: it goes like this and for some reason several board members continue to get it wrong and/or just don't care:
    1-each OEM factory strap takes one and only one nut. it is self-locking PLUS the massive tension on it keeps it tight.
    2-there is NO loc-tite on the threads from the factory
    3-the threaded post and nut on THE FRONT STRAP always faces left (primary side)
    4-the threaded post andnut on BOTH REAR STRAPS always face right (belt driven side)
    the stock muffler is slightly A-symetrical as are the clamps and if you don't specifically follow #3 and #4 above you'll eventually have problems including broken straps.

Thanks for the info, John! I had wondered about the orientation of the straps as my rears were facing left when I removed them. I put the new ones on facing right as shown in the manual. Just for clarity, my new muffler is a Drummer SS, not a stock one. So, there is no front strap anymore. Any thoughts about why they supply two nuts with each rear strap (neither one that came with mine appears to be self locking, but I could be wrong)? And, what is the white stuff on the threads from the factory if not a thread locker? I didn't add any loctite since it didn't call for it in the manual and I assumed the white stuff was a thread locker.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast