Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Muffler rear strap mounting

Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by submax View Post
    Thanks for the info, John! I had wondered about the orientation of the straps as my rears were facing left when I removed them. I put the new ones on facing right as shown in the manual. Just for clarity, my new muffler is a Drummer SS, not a stock one. So, there is no front strap anymore. Any thoughts about why they supply two nuts with each rear strap (neither one that came with mine appears to be self locking, but I could be wrong)? And, what is the white stuff on the threads from the factory if not a thread locker? I didn't add any loctite since it didn't call for it in the manual and I assumed the white stuff was a thread locker.
    always my pleasure james....you know that. if you use 2 nuts per threaded post what i would do is initially only run one on....torque it up...run the motor a bit and get some heat in the parts....then check it again. after that hold it with an open end 7-16 th and thread on the 2nd nut and jam it against the first. i call that "factory white stuff" a combo of assembly liquid that just happens to act as a bit of locker when it dries. it's better than nothing. you'll see it on alot of factory fasteners.

I would think that your bike is just more manly ! Mine is whining that it wants to have two nuts also so, I might switch it.

Thanks again, John. Good idea about the extra nut...I'll probably go ahead and add it just for an extra measure of security. And...to make my exhaust more manly as njloco says.

My bike feels like weaksauce now because it only has single nuts. Do you offer a kit for this upgrade?

Not sure about this, Extra nuts might just be in the way.

Thats not what she said.

She told you what you wanted to hear. smart lady

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12