Thread: Buell XB Engine casings interchangable

Question Buell XB Engine casings interchangable

I have an XB 12 which right side casing has been damaged beyond repair, I have a good usable casing from an XB9 can I match them together

What year is the bike with the damaged case and what year bike is the good case from?
    If they're both 03 to 07 or 08 to 2010 I think you're good to go.
    Shouldn't be that hard to just test fit it and see if it works......

I was always under the impression for things like engine cases (especially from my air cooled VW days) that if you had a damaged case half, you basically needed to replace the entire case, due to slight manufacturing variances in the casting. From what I understand, if you have a shaft that rides on a bore that is shared between both case halves, they may not line up within spec.

Ross or some of the other HD tech guys may be able to support or dispel this.

It's not an engine case that is in question. At least that's not the way I read it. Reread the post. It sounds like it's the cam cover. The cover on the right side of the bike that holds the cams and cam position sensor(if it's a pre 2007 model). If it's newer, it's the cover with the oil pump system built into it.
    I maybe assuming too much.
    I guess Buellss needs to give us some more information. Because I would agree with you if we're actually talking about the right half of the engine case. However, I'd give it a shot regardless. How high are the tolerances on a Buell engine anyway?
    My engine has 42k miles on it. I've reused a lot of parts that others would have replaced because the wear limits were within spec, according to the manual.
    Anyway, Buellss post a pic of the damaged part please.

I agree.... big difference between cam cover and engine case.

My read was that he was looking for an engine case.

And I could be making a mountain out of a molehill here. In the VW world , doing this would be a recipe for disaster. HD/Buell may not be a big deal.

If your talking about the cam covers, yes xb9's and xb12's are all interchangeable from 03-07 and then 08-09.
    now if you grenaded the front cross brace mount and your right side case is toast then you need new cases. It's to much work to line bore and match the cases.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Hi guys, I am referring to the actual engine case and not the cam cover the original case cam bushes had turned in the casing and I was hoping to replace the casing half with the XB9 half have which I have order from the states to South Africa but it is still on its way, I have in the meantime had the original casing cam bush holes machined to oversize and new bushes manufactured I require now a cam cover which I will use to line bore the new bushes.
    Does anyone perhaps have a damaged came cover for a 2003 to 2007 XB model that I can buy, as I need to machine off the outside of the cover to expose the cam holes for alignment with the new cam bushes in the original casing