Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Short guy on a Ulysses?

Short guy on a Ulysses?

Hey guys, I may have finally gotten a chance to get myself a buell! I've had my XL1200s posted on craigslist for a while and finally got an offer today. I was really in the market for a lightning or firebolt but the offer came in for a ulysses. I'm trying to get something a little more comfortable to ride than my sporty as I was in an accident a couple of years ago and have very limited range of motion in my hip, the bunched up riding position of my sporty just isn't working for me and I was thinking something like a Buell could offer a more comfortable position.

Anyway, to the main question. I'm 5'7" and have an inseam of about 29-30" I know the seat height is very tall on the X but I'm also fairly heavy at about 225. I was looking into lowering kits but I didn't see too many options and the main 1 I found only lists about a 1" drop. I've also seen that you can install the suspension from other Buell models to lower it as well but that may be a little cost prohibitive for me right now.

In essence, is there anyone here who is short like me that the Ulysses worked for? Would I be able to operate it safely?

Thank you for any help.

Inactive
    at your specifications sire you are going to really struggle mounting and dismounting a STOCK ulysses. i've owned 7 of them so i know what i speak of. i'm 6ft tall and 190lbs and at my proportions they remained "challenging" to mount and dismount from. tip-toes used at stops of course. you'll now find that midgets, wizards and dwarfs on here will chime in with "go to hell John. i'm 4ft.10 inches tall and ride my ulysses daily with nary a problem." let the rumble commence.
    Last edited by user_deleted; 02-02-2017 at 05:40 PM.

AZmidget91 here, and I wish my XB12SCG was lower

So go to hell John!

Well, if you are near the Phoenix area, I got a 2004 Lightning I'll trade for your Ulysses. I'll even add some cash or trade on my end to make it interesting to you.

Quote Originally Posted by yellowcarbon View Post
    Well, if you are near the Phoenix area, I got a 2004 Lightning I'll trade for your Ulysses. I'll even add some cash or trade on my end to make it interesting to you.
    Dude, I would do that RIGHT NOW but I'm in Georgia. If you want to make the ride over here I'll pass on the extra cash offer
    Last edited by chiliphil1; 02-02-2017 at 07:36 PM.

Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by AZmidget91 View Post
    AZmidget91 here, and I wish my XB12SCG was lower

So go to hell John!
    nice job cole. somehow just knew that was coming....and right quick.

I didn't want to disappoint you

I just want to point out that if you have comfort issues on a sporty, you're gonna have 10x the issues on a firebolt or lightning.
    And if you're vertically challenged, forget about the uly!
    My brother is 6ft tall and carries his 240lbs quite well. He couldn't ride my firebolt more than 1/2 a mile before turning around and giving it up. His hips and knees did not enjoy the riding position.
    His bike of choice is a KLR 600(or is it 650?). Anyway, he's into the adventure dual sport bikes and couldn't stand my bolt.
    Just FYI

I have 1995 sportster 1200 (with 89" stroker kit), 2000 S3T and a 2009 Firebolt. I am 6' 2" ~220lbs.

The sporty is the lowest of the 3 and a tie for most comfortable. It has the stock mid foot pegs and drag bars on it (it's also the fastest of the 3). The S3T is great for commuting and longer rides, but it is definitely taller. It handles pretty well too. The Firebolt is new to me and so far I am enjoying the hell out of it, but I would not try to take it on any long rides due to the riding position. I am sure I look like a giant on it. It is however the best handling of the 3. I intend to install the lower pegs in the near future.

I ride solo 99% of the time, but when the SO wants to feel some Detroit vibrator, she prefers the sporty . She has not been on the firebolt except to help me load it in the trailer once. She struggled to touch the ground, but she is 5'6". She could not touch on the S3T either. She has ridden the sporty, but after the stroker kit was installed, she scared the hell out of herself pulling the wheel off the ground as she accelerated the first time, so she is nervous about riding it again. Big difference from her old 883.

Hope this helps.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast