Thread: Adjustable Pushrods Without Removing Heads?

Adjustable Pushrods Without Removing Heads?

Has anyone put in adjustable pushrods and collapsible covers without removing the engine or heads? Of course that would be after cutting through the stock black plastic covers and cutting out the pushrods.

Quote Originally Posted by madisonm55 View Post
    Has anyone put in adjustable pushrods and collapsible covers without removing the engine or heads?
    You might consider purchasing a service manual before you do just lifters. How many miles on your Buell? IMO the Buell without a traditional frame makes top-end rebuild a breeze. Might as well replace all moving parts if you are going in. Takes no time at all and you get the compression and performance of a new engine. I took a few days this winter and it's very easy and satisfying work. I don't think all these parts needed replacing but parts are not that expensive. The pistons costing the most but I could have used the ones here with just new ring kits. Break in is done and I'm confident the top-end is quiet and solid now. I have little experience with Harley engines but on the Buell it's by the book, no surprises, and compression is now well over the SM's requirements. Plus you can check the valves and get that done and off your mind if you feel the need.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by midway; 02-08-2017 at 12:00 AM.

Well, the point would be to not have to do anything to the engine. I just want the collapsible covers for engine cosmetic purposes and the only way to do so without removing the engine or heads would be to attempt to slide an adjustable pushrod in there at its shortest length then extend them once inside. Ive seen this done on bigger motors but didnt know if it works on a buell xb or if its ever been done. Better i know now before i go cutting away. Indeed in the future when this motor goes and i replace or rebuild it ill do it the correct way.

I wouldn't.

Adjustable pushrods don't have the 3"+(?) of adjustment to do what you want to try.

Google 'Buell engine rotation' and take a few hours do it right.

Good luck

Google 'Buell engine rotation' and take a few hours do it right.
    really is damn easy.(relatively speaking) first time i did one, had the engine down in less than 2hrs and next day did rocker gaskets and had back in in 2 more hrs.