Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Blowing the Ignition Relay

Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by pono55 View Post
    Thanks lunatic much appreciated

1. Female spades are corroded and plastic melted. Going to clean and see how it does
    2. Not seeing anything weird with ignition switch.
    3. Can't find anything with the wiring, but I'm not the most knowledgeable with the system.
    4. Will clean and test how she does
    5. Doesn't seem to be over charging currently
    always my pleasure. you do NOT need to go ripping and tearing into electrical components and wiring harnesses. you'll drive yourself nuts. do the simple thing first and hope that is the problem. the simple thing is very carefully inspecting the female spades of the fusebox that holds the relay. you mentioned that they look dirty and corroded. right there is the likely source of the problem. they must be tight and pristine. NO corrosion or dirt. start there. 90% of these relay problems lie in that area.
    Last edited by user_deleted; 02-12-2017 at 06:17 PM.

Yes it looks like the number thirty on each of the key switch relays that have been over heating

Do you know a part number or what exactly those female ends are so I can try to replace as well. That number thirty on the key switch relay seems to be the only one that was corroded

I like your thinking to replace them but I wouldn't bother looking for a Buell specific wire terminal:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/25-PCS-6-5mm...EAAOSw9uFW9Uw8

Be sure they have the little tang to hold them in the box, get the width, and the wire gauge size right.

Cleaned out the female ends and the grounds once again and she seems to be running better. Will make sure to keep re-checking this point for any changes.

Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by pono55 View Post
    Cleaned out the female ends and the grounds once again and she seems to be running better. Will make sure to keep re-checking this point for any changes.
    was reasonably certain when you initiated this post that you would find, as i said, that the source of the problem was the connections/circuitry in the fusebox. with that in mind and apparently isolated and somewhat resolved...get yourself a spray bomb of kano kroil. it is truly amazing stuff. not cheap but money well spent. those female terminal ends a bitch to clean but if corroded/dirty....simply blow out what you can with compressed air nozzle....then fog with kano kroil...let sit overnite...blow out again with air....reinstall your relays....and give it a go. should resolve it for good.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12