Thread: Suspension swap question

Suspension swap question

Hey guys, I've been looking to lower my uly and I came across a person who is willing to trade me the suspension from his XT for that of my X.

My question is, my bike is a 2006, his a 2008. Would everything bolt up with no issues? Fork diameter, shock bolt locations, etc?

Thank you.

Make sure the fork diameters are compatible. I know on the s and r models the diameters went from 41mm to 43mm I believe in 06 or 08. I would do a search for Buell xb fork diameters.

On a uly all the fork dia. are the same. Would be a direct swap. Don't forget to swap kick stands too.

FYI the fork dia changed in 05 except for the scg.

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by loose1 View Post
    On a uly all the fork dia. are the same. Would be a direct swap. Don't forget to swap kick stands too.

FYI the fork dia changed in 05 except for the scg.

Matt
    Ok, cool. Thank you.

I would happily swap my '06 XB12X suspension for the XT suspenders... wonder where to look for a taker?
    My second Buell, vertically challenged, love the bike, need high heel sneakers or suspension swap. Already took an inch of foam out of the seat...

I just went through lowering mine. I had the local suspension wizard just take some travel out of the forks and shock with spacers and then install higher rate springs. While the bike sat about 1.5" lower, it did not help that much because there is now less sag. Plus, I am using minimum pre-load in the forks. I also had the seat lowered to the absolute minimum and overall height is much more manageable and bike handles better. Pulled the forks up through the triple clamps as well.

XT seat height is not all that much lower. You can also go with XB12SS front and rear suspension but be careful. Suspension for 2006 model is about an inch shorter than for 2009 so if you don't get fork and shocks from same year make sure they match up. You can also use forks and shock from SST. They are comparable to the XT and 2009 SS suspension height.

If i was going to do it all over again, I would get suspension from one of those other models and maybe lower just a little bit as necessary, rather than trying to take so much height out of the stock Uly suspension. Mine works fine but may not be optimal.